Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 15th, 2017, 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Anime You've Ever Seen? (Might Be Offensive)
PostPosted: August 27th, 2008, 9:29 pm 
Regular

i thought "dreck" was common. i use it all the time.

ps. i agree with your thoughts on dragon half. funny stuff.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2008, 8:27 am 
Resident Scholar

dbd_addict wrote:
i thought "dreck" was common. i use it all the time.

I have nevere ever heard it in the English language. :?:
It's German and it means "dirt". I didn't know it was an actively used loanword. Interesting.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2008, 11:29 am 

I've heard of drek before. In lots o books. Just not very common. It's not really used that much any more. Also in english its more of a curse if I remember right.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2008, 2:34 pm 
Newcomer

I would name three abominations that I clearly hated:

1. Soul Taker(2001) It made very little sense, the animation was convoluted and the storyline felt listless,
Spoiler
okay he's supposed to be satan but how exactly did it come to pass, where's the background?

2. Ghost Stories(2000) Unwatchable. Both the dub and the sub were beyond abhorrent. The japanese soundtrack was just plain bland and uninspired and the dub was just exaggrated, full of made-up ad-libs and tastless jokes. Just an awful experience. Considering that I couldn't even stand two episodes at a Alamo theater screening in my hometown.

3. Red Garden. The worst anime title of 2007. Everything in it made this unbearable. The annoying dub. The stupid subplot, and the storyline was so full of holes that I didn't even bother with the second volume!

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2008, 5:21 pm 
Post Master

TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
3. Red Garden... the storyline was so full of holes that I didn't even bother with the second volume!

Holes can be resolved though. You can't say that from only one volume.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2008, 8:23 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
I would name three abominations that I clearly hated:

1. Soul Taker(2001) It made very little sense, the animation was convoluted and the storyline felt listless

Well I certainly agree with you there! Soultaker is one of the few titles that I dropped, after watching only the first episode. I couldn't stand the animation either, it was just so bad! I mean, aside from the rather lackluster everything else, the animation was basically a punch of various pan shots. Its been a number of years now since I saw it, but I have been unwilling to touch the series again after that episode.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2008, 9:36 am 

LEAVE MY SOUL TAKER ALONE!!!!!! :twisted: :evil: :mad2: :gatsu:

It's not that bad, seriously once you learn how to track what's going on (ps the background is just a deverision like in plays.) Its pretty good and one of my favorite anime.

Mean come on there are worse. Like Angel Tales, Green Green, Now and Then Here and There, Saber marionete j-x, Vexile the list goes on. You just have to figure out how to watch it. After that it's pretty good.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2008, 3:22 pm 
Resident Scholar

The Adict wrote:
LEAVE MY SOUL TAKER ALONE!!!!!!
(...)
Mean come on there are worse. Like Angel Tales, Green Green, Now and Then Here and There, Saber marionete j-x, Vexile the list goes on.

:shame:
a) That's relativism. Just because something's worse doesn't make it better. :|
b) You're making the mistake that you're probably critisizing: It's only a personal opinion. :arrow: I don't agree.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2008, 5:11 am 
Resident Admin

The Adict wrote:
LEAVE MY SOUL TAKER ALONE!!!!!! :twisted: :evil: :mad2: :gatsu:

It's not that bad, seriously once you learn how to track what's going on (ps the background is just a deverision like in plays.) Its pretty good and one of my favorite anime.

:mrgreen: Well I can't speak for the story since I only saw the first episode... but I just couldn't stand how low budget or "artsy" the animation was. This was a while ago when I was less forgiving at the start of series as to whether or not I would continue watching, but even now I still don't have a desire to continue. Don't let my thoughts on it get you down, they are only based on one episode and, while I wasn't all the interested at the story either, mostly based on the animation and its sideshow like qualities.

The Adict wrote:
Mean come on there are worse. Like Angel Tales, Green Green, Now and Then Here and There, Saber marionete j-x, Vexile the list goes on. You just have to figure out how to watch it. After that it's pretty good.

Well I have only seen Vexille and NTHT and I liked both of those, Vexille to a lessor extent but I still enjoyed it (don't really like that type of animation).

PostPosted: October 5th, 2008, 6:12 am 

I wasn't too fond of Vexille. Simply put, it was kinda boring. It lacked the climatic super robot battle or something. I mean you see those fucking suits, of course you want some Appleseed like action. You barely see those things, and it all cops out to piles of trash snakes.
It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't call it good either.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2008, 7:47 am 
Resident Admin

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
I wasn't too fond of Vexille. Simply put, it was kinda boring. It lacked the climatic super robot battle or something. I mean you see those fucking suits, of course you want some Appleseed like action. You barely see those things, and it all cops out to piles of trash snakes.
It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't call it good either.

Oh it was somewhat boring, I can agree with that! They really took their sweet time with it. Could have used to have been about 20-30 minutes shorter, and I don't really think much story wise would have been lost since it wasn't exactly the most complex of stories. I certainly liked it more than the other Appleseed incarnations though, which probably helped it in my view since they really felt similar. (Same type of animation, female lead, technologically changed worlds with apocalyptic undertones.)

PostPosted: October 5th, 2008, 11:29 pm 

Umm am I the only one that thinks that claiming Vexille is better then Appleseed is not that high of a complement?

I'll aggree that just because there are worse things out there doesn;t make a series any better. However Soul Taker is good once you figure out how to watch it. And is pretty orginal, though not completely.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2008, 1:46 am 
Resident Admin

The Adict wrote:
Umm am I the only one that thinks that claiming Vexille is better then Appleseed is not that high of a complement?

It's not meant the be that high of a complement :lol:. I have not liked the whole Appleseed series much at all. But it's a good comparison title, the last two anyway, in terms of animation and story. And I do like Vexille more.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2008, 5:14 pm 
Resident Scholar

The Adict wrote:
I the only one that thinks that claiming Vexille is better then Appleseed is not that high of a complement?

Depends on taste. In my opinion, Appleseed is not that hard to beat, although I'd still say that among all the shows that I definitely did not like it's one of the best... :lol2:

PostPosted: December 14th, 2008, 10:05 pm 

Quote:
So in other words the only people that like it are the young, are anime noobs. That makes me feel better.
<--- Referring to One Piece. Haha, I got called a noob for liking One Piece... first thing I hate that word with a passion, it comes from people who like to distinct themselves from others, and call themselves the elite [leet] :vomit:

The Adict wrote:
First let me say, I wasn't judgeing 'people'. For awhile I thought I was wierd becuase I hated one piece, have gotten bored with naruto and thought Bleach was okay but nothing special. I realized most of the pople that had the opposite oppion were either younger then 16 orwere new to anime.
You have to admit that both groups tend to have opposite oppions then we the older then 16 and experienced anime views do. Or as some noobs call it, the otakuized people.
Mini rant, to all noobs, don't blame us that our tastes are different then yours. Why do our tastes differ? Because we have a deeper and better understanding of Japanese culture and history. Such as cousins having romantic relationship don't freack us outthat much. You'll understand if you stick with it for awhile.
Second, I'm in my 20's already, yet my opinion differs greatly from yours, I like One Piece, it's different, refreshing, fun, it does have a great storyline, although the animated series has lots of fillers. I dropped the series a while ago, still keep up with the manga though. I think everyone has different preferences, and that's nothing to argue about or generalize, there is nothing wrong with you not liking it. It's your choice, just like I dislike 96% of Mecha related anime series. I would also expect One Piece to have a big younger audience mostly because the anime series has been exposed on cable TV channels aimed at the young audiences, those kids have grown and probably drawn into anime. It wouldn't hurt to be more tolerant though.
Something else, I don't see how Japanese culture and history would relate to incest between cousins. I did watch once Koi Kaze, and thought it was ok, awkward, but still an interesting theme, but I did get the impression that in the Japanese setting of the story, such relationship was not well seen or supported.

I'm with the people who did not like Spirited Away much either. Most friends that have seen it, and who don't watch anime said it was great, especially people in the arts field. My reason for disliking had nothing to do with the story, I thought it was great, but some of the characters creeped (crept?) me out. I just found it really bizarre.
I also thought FLCL was bizarre, yet, I loved it, the storyline made no sense the first time I watched it, later on I understood the meaning of it (Zero_chaos put it down nicely a few post back in this thread) but I didn't give it much importance. What I liked about it, was the animation, the use of vivid and contrasting colors, and definitely the music, I became a fan of The Pillows after watching that series.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next