Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 11th, 2017, 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Video Girl Ai
PostPosted: July 7th, 2007, 12:03 pm 
Resident Scholar

This is a short six-episode title. A friend gave me his issue about five years ago and only now have I refound it in my drawer, hard to believe it has only six episodes, but that's what AnimeNewsNetwork says. Right, I have not watched it to the end, since I have only had time for three episodes so far, but it's obvious that the story evolves rather quickly.

What's it about?
After realizing that his love-interest Moemi has her eyes on his best friend, Yota visits a mysterious video shop which is according to the clerk only visible to the pure hearted. Which is generally what Yota is: As lecherous as a 16yo can be, but he is the "Nice Guy type" which is liked by girls for talking freely but not considered a partner for love.

When Moemi tells him she loved Takahashi who the openly says she was not his type, Yota offers top help her win his Takahashi's heart, which she appreciates. Still disappointed of life, Yota finds said video shop and buys a tape.
On the tape there is a girl called Ai who says she felt sorry for him and that she would help him get things straight for him - and then drops out of the TV set right onto his bed and engages in all kinds of ways to help him.

To Yota's dismay, due to his crappy VCR Ai turns out a tomboy with male temper and language (referring to herself as "ore"), complaining that her bustsize was gradually shrinking, the part of her body she liked most, as she says.
But she has a very soft female side and, you know, once she states that "Video Girls" like her could not fall in love with a client, everybody knows she has already fallen, but she has only one month of playing time.

I like this show more than "Megami-sama", and I chose "Megami-sama" for my comment because it is comparable.
When Verdandy ("Belldandy") drops out of the mirror (or phone?) she immediately is Keiichi's girlfriend, because Keiichi does not have any serious love-interests.
The fact that Yota is thrown into a conflict between the two girls, one of whom he loves and still has promised to win his best friend, gives a very interesting twist. I really have to wonder however "Megami-sama" could become more popular than "Video Girl Ai", since the story is much better.
On the other hand, "Video Girl Ai" has far more sexual overtones. Ai is quite open with her sexuality, and she does show her chest when she complains about him playing her video in a crappy VCR.

Great classic Anime, a further pearl in my collection, and I recommend it to anyone who likes romantic comedies.
Moreover, Ai is another great voice act of Hayashibara Megumi, but it is kinda hidden behind her smash hits like Lina Inverse or Ayanami Rei.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 7th, 2007, 2:28 pm 
Regular

i loved this anime.

i believe this was the one that started me into watching anime. akira did nothing for me. then ghost in the shell put me asleep a couple times. then ninja scroll... oh wait, it was ninja scroll that put me onto anime.

oh well, THIS ANIME ROCKS! watch it!
i had this awesome AMV of this anime with the song "save tonight" by eagle eye cherry.

EDIT: frick! i love youtube!
here is the video

EDIT2: hmmm.... just watched it. possible spoiler. you have been warned!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 8th, 2007, 1:05 am 

Video Girl Ai is a really memorable story. One of my favorites. It has a very melancholic feel to it (at least for me).
The manga series is even better because it doesn't stop there. I've rewatched the anime a couple of times, and reread the manga quite some more.
It's a great pick for anyone. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 9th, 2007, 6:12 am 
Newcomer

I agree with dbd_addict especially in the 2nd paragraph same thing happen with me

anyway video girl ai is a classic anime created by masakazu katzura creator of I'S(also my favourite)
VGA has a dark story IMO :|

by the time you read this
my forehead are being target by grammar & spelling nazi

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 9th, 2007, 5:22 pm 
Newcomer

I haven't seen this show in so long (but great none the less)

There is a part I laughed really hard at in episode 3 (On the Occasion of Our First Date)
In the movie theater scene they spoof Terminator (T2 had just came out earlier that year I think)

funny romantic comedy watch this show