Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2007, 11:25 am 

First off, don't jinex it I like Geneon i would hate it if we stopped getting their anime. Second, if you preordered and they have the stock and if the a legal distributer then by law they either have to give you your money back or send you their stuff. I think. In either case that sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2007, 6:24 pm 
Post Master

The Adict wrote:
First off, don't jinex it I like Geneon i would hate it if we stopped getting their anime. Second, if you preordered and they have the stock and if the a legal distributer then by law they either have to give you your money back or send you their stuff. I think. In either case that sucks.

I know that already, I just want the stuff more then I want my money. It's the whole reason I ordered it in the first place. I read in the rightstuf news about this just now:

Quote:
We are verifying now whether the remainder of the releases will be canceled completely, but it is our guess that the 11/13 releases and beyond are canceled. Rest assured that we have adequate incoming inventory on all of the titles through 11/6 on order and will be able to fill all customer orders -- if you haven't ordered these titles, order them now!

I think this means one more restock in about a month?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2007, 7:57 am 
Major Contributor

Mmsven, which site did you order from?

Well it looks like I won't be able to get my hands on the rest of the Black Lagoon DVDs until they are relicensed by another distributor. I can wait, but it's still kinda annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15th, 2007, 10:08 pm 
Post Master

spazmaster666 wrote:
Mmsven, which site did you order from?

Well it looks like I won't be able to get my hands on the rest of the Black Lagoon DVDs until they are relicensed by another distributor. I can wait, but it's still kinda annoying.

I ordered from rightstuf, but I got it all sorted out. Apparently one of the items had no stock left (I didn't realize it) and because I ordered everything at once, it delays the whole order. I requested a change in my order so I won't have to wait so long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2007, 12:11 pm 
Post Master

Holy crap :shock: new afro sequel coming already.

"In an interview with the Associated Press news service, Afro Samurai creator Takashi Okazaki has confirmed that a new television series of the action franchise is in production now. The next series will be shown on the American cable channel Spike TV in the first months of 2008. According to Okazaki, the storyline of the new episodes will follow the conclusion of the events of the first five, with main character Afro finally accepting his destiny of becoming the world's best warrior. The new episodes will also feature a new female opponent for Afro."

From ANN news.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 6:05 am 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
The new episodes will also feature a new female opponent for Afro

*smirk*
Sounds like good advertising. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 3:08 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Mmsven wrote:
Holy crap :shock: new afro sequel coming already.

Can't say I'm surprised, I think the first release ended up doing very well. Since the first one successfully delivered on some quality action, we can at least hope for the same with a little added story for qualities sake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2007, 1:05 am 
Resident Admin

Looks like Funimation is looking into picking up some of Geneon's titles. While I was a fan of Geneon and am sad to see them go, I am also a fan of Funimation so I think the properties would be well handled under them.

"Geneon's Fall a Positive for FUNimation?
Navarre Stock Punished
November 08, 2007

Navarre CEO Kerry Deacon, who held a conference call today to discuss the company's most recently quarterly earnings report (see "FUNimation Sales Down, But on Budget"), discussed the impact of Geneon's recent collapse (see "Dentsu Eats $40 Million") on its FUNimation division. "[G]enerally we believe it could be positive to our position in the marketplace, both from a sales and a content acquisition basis," he said of the events.

Deacon noted that Geneon had some "very strong content such as Sailor Moon, Van Helsing, and Black Lagoon, whose futures are unknown."

Meanwhile, the Navarre stock was punished by traders on Thursday, with a 40% decline in value in the trading day. Investors were expressing their displeasure at the weaker than expected earnings and a decline in forecast in the most recent report."
Source: http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/11599.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2007, 8:39 pm 
Resident Admin

"Anime BitTorrent Users Reportedly Sent Notices by ISPs
posted on 2007-11-19 10:21 EST
Warning notices match form letter for copyright infringement

An administrator for the AnimeSuki website of anime BitTorrent links reported that users received a "Notice of Claim of Copyright Infringement" from their Internet service providers late last week for distribution of anime without an announced license from a North American company. The majority of the notices (which are similar to an unrelated one archived at the Chilling Effects website) reportedly came from Comcast, a Internet service provider in the United States, on behalf of an unnamed "copyright owner, or its authorized agent" and cited America's Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Comcast has not responded to ANN's request for comment before this article was posted.

BitTorrent is a swarming peer-to-peer file-sharing protocol, or a system that lessens the burden on the first file uploader by allowing the other users to simultaneously send parts of the files as each user receives them. To allow for this decentralized sharing of data, each user's BitTorrent client program normally has a list of Internet addresses of the other users for a particular file. BitTorrent has a number of legal uses for wide distribution of files, such as software updates and open software packages. Companies such as ADV Films have used BitTorrent to distribute free trailers and other material. A lawsuit has been filed against Comcast for its reported interference of BitTorrent and other Internet traffic, contrary to its advertising of unlimited Internet connections.

According to the AnimeSuki.com post, the titles listed in the different notices include Suteki Tantei Labyrinth, Mobile Suit Gundam 00, Seto no Hanayome, Nagasarete Airantou, Shugo Chara!, and Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai. Each of these programs come from a different copyright holder in Japan, but have not been announced as licensed by a North American company yet. (The status of Gundam 00's North American licensing is a gray area due to the involvement of the Bandai Namco Group, the umbrella organization of Bandai Entertainment and Bandai Visual USA.)

A French website reported that end users received an email letter sent directly from Singaporean licensor Odex regarding a French fansub of the Ouran High School Host Club anime series on a French BitTorrent site during last week also. Odex has been in the Singaporean mainstream news for attempting to obtain the identities of allegedly unauthorized anime downloaders in its own country and threatening legal action against them.

Some anime creators such as Read or Die director Koji Masunari at Anime Expo 2002 have supported, or even encouraged, fans to obtain and view anime that has not been released locally, regardless of the method, while most have yet to publicly comment on the issue. Others such as Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex scriptwriter Yoshiki Sakurai, Excel Saga director Shinichi Watanabe, GONZO, and Media Factory have publicly requested that unauthorized distribution of their works be stopped.

The Japanese government included a request for the United States to help stop the unauthorized reproduction and distribution of Japanese animation online in its formal statement of requests on regulatory reform and competition policy on October 18. The request, one of many in a 50-page document, specifically mentioned video-sharing sites and peer-to-peer file-sharing networks." Source ANN

---------------------------------------------

It'll be interesting to see how this plays itself out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2007, 11:14 pm 
Regular

I don't use bittorrent...but I have watched a lot of anime online. Hmm....I don't know if this will really deter people sharing anime online, but I definetly feel bad for anyone who gets sued (those fees can get quite high)

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 20th, 2007, 1:44 am 
Resident Admin

It seems like more of the beginnings of Japanese companies trying to stop illegal distribution of their titles. (They already sent the "stop illegal pirating of our properties in the US" with their requests on regulatory reform). With increased activity abroad, I would imagine they will start stepping it up with people in their own county, especially those that are uploading titles, and start prosecuting them. This could also translate into increased activity from US companies as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 3:31 pm 
Resident Scholar

Hm... I thought AnimeSuki only offered Anime that has not yet ben licensed in North America?
They always seemed very keen to keep their whiskers clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 10:22 pm 
Resident Admin

Well, it seemed that the Japanese companies were going after non US licensed titles that were being illegally distributed through bittorrents. However, now it seems to have been more of a mistake that US citizens were being contacted, at least by BayTSP anyway (Not sure about those contacted my Comcast):

"BayTSP Acknowledges Sending Warning Notices by Mistake (Updated)
posted on 2007-11-21 11:59 EST
Firm was not asked to pursue anime downloaders outside Singapore

The American company BayTSP has acknowledged that it accidentally processed warning notices for allegedly unauthorized anime downloaders in France, Japan, and the United States last week, according to a Wednesday report in The New Paper periodical in Singapore. Odex, an anime licensee in Singapore, had asked BayTSP, a firm that deals with online intellectual property, to pursue unauthorized anime downloaders in that country only, and not worldwide.

BayTSP spokesperson Jim Graham said in a joint reply with Odex, "Moving forward, notices relating to Odex-licensed and authorized content will only be sent to Singapore ISPs [Internet service providers] whose subscribers are identified as downloading this content illegally." Odex has not responded to ANN's request for a separate comment.

The two companies have been serving notices to Singaporean Internet users throughout 2007, and some users have spent S$3,000 to S$5,000 (about US$2,000 to US$3,500) to settle the copyright infringement claims outside the courts. The resulting outcry from other users has spread throughout that country's online forums, newspapers, and television news.

Source: DarkMirage

Update: The Odex website's domain address was hacked to redirect to another website on November 22 (Singapore time), and the new website displayed a message from the hacker. Neither the official website nor the hacker's redirected page is currently accessible as of November 21, 7:30 p.m. EST." Source ANN

Last edited by Acmurphy on November 27th, 2007, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2007, 5:54 pm 
Resident Admin

"GDH Int'l Head Condemns Illegal Anime Distribution
posted on 2007-11-24 14:39 EST

Describes it as industry's "biggest global threat" in ActiveAnime talk

ActiveAnime.com posted an interview with Arthur Smith, the president of G.D.H. International, in which he strongly condemns fansubbing and illegal sharing of anime online. G.D.H. is the parent company of the animation studio Gonzo (Afro Samurai, Last Exile, Yukikaze) and the game company Gonzo Rosso (Knight Online, The Tower of Druaga: The Recovery of BABYLIM). "Viewing fan subbed versions before official release is not different from smashing the window of a Mac Store and taking an iPhone the day before it is released," he said. Smith then said that fansubs are hurting the anime industry both in Japan and in the United States. Smith said G.D.H. has had to decrease production budgets for a number of its current series, and limit staff salary increases, because of the decrease in DVD sales caused by fansubs.

Smith also talked about some of the ways in which G.D.H. has dealt with fansub distributors, such as issuing cease-and-desist letters via its American partners. At the same time, Smith acknowledged that fans are frequently dissatisfied with the long time it often takes for an American company to begin releasing an anime series it has licensed. In response to this, G.D.H. is looking into legal ways of distributing anime online (such as via Apple's iTunes and Microsoft's Xbox Live stores) and into any other possible ways of cutting the wait times.

The differences and similarities between intangible, intellectual property and tangible, physical property have been an ongoing legal controversy. The popularization of the Internet and new copyright legislation in various countries in the last decade have only added more fuel to the debate. While Read or Die director Koji Masunari implied tacit acknowledgment of unauthorized anime distribution in 2002, Sony, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex scriptwriter Yoshiki Sakurai, Media Factory, Gonzo, and Excel Saga director Shinichi Watanabe have spoken or acted against it." Source ANN

---------------------------------------

More developments on the continuing sage of fansubs vs. the industry. If Japanese companies start offering subbed titles immediately online upon Japanese release, it is really going to start killing the arguments in favor of fansubs, other than the fact that they are free :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 26th, 2007, 9:26 pm 
Major Contributor

I would definitely be all over this but my only issue with online downloads so far is a quality issue and DMCA issue. For instance, I'm willing to pay $3 per episode for HD TV series on Xbox Live Marketplace but the problem is that I have no way of transferring that out of my 360 do to certain DMCA issues. If this online distribution system offered HD quality episodes that are transferable, then I'd definitely be all for it.

Though I would expect the prices to be reasonable and not overpriced like anime episodes are on Xbox Live right now with SD anime episodes costing as much as HD TV series episodes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next