Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2007, 12:42 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
What the two companies are primarily trying to do is take down the hentai sites that are posting their DVD rips and charging people to download them, thus making money off of their own products. However, they will be also targeting places that are posting them for free for download, and they are at least suing them, so it isn't like those useless C&D orders that everyone just ignores. I have already sent a couple (like 6) urls in that I found, a number of which were hentai pay sites that tried to partner with me, lol. (Jokes on them!)

And we get the old, "if I view something as too expensive it makes it ok to steal it" argument from The Adict. (Didn't think we were going to get that one here). The same argument a lot of people use as to why they don't buy anime releases. It's all the same, people just like free stuff over paying, which in turn causes the prices for all the rest of us to go up. Ugh, such a vicious cycle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2007, 4:13 pm 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
And we get the old, "if I view something as too expensive it makes it ok to steal it" argument from The Adict. (Didn't think we were going to get that one here).

I'll talk openly. I usually only download stuff that cannot be bought in Europe. Yes, all Anime is freely available in Japan and mail order is easy - but it's expensive and I just manage to survive financially.
As for my excuses, a) in terms of download quantity, a big limiter is the fact that very few series motivate me enough to waste any space for them, and b) I have a rigid principle: I only download if it's good enough to buy, so I save money as good as I can and eventually buy the stuff. That's the way I got "Soko ni iru boku", "SailorMoon" and "Tenchi Muyô - Ryô Ôki". There's still some on the waiting list and it's not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 14th, 2007, 9:57 am 

I see so you guys thinking that I'm making 'the old it too expensive I steal.' Okay whatever, in truth I'm just to poor to buy stuff that is that expensive. So sew me for being poor and saving my money to buy more main stream anime. Oh well, think of me what you will. I buy anime from amazon and read hmanga online for free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2007, 11:07 pm 
Regular

i honestly do not care if you pirate everything. just do not be a hypocrite about it. :)

Quote:
Am I against general pirating of anime, yes. Am i against general pirating of Hentai, nope not one bit.

by the way, the differences in price is usually something you learn in grade 9 economics...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 21st, 2007, 2:11 am 
Resident Admin

For those of you who didn't know about the ADV Films partnership with Geneon before, well, it looks like it has died, with the future of Geneon up in the air.

ADV Films, Geneon USA's Distribution Deal Cancelled (Updated)

Geneon USA's current distribution status unknown

The previously announced deal between ADV Films and Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc., in which ADV Films would take over all sales, marketing, and distribution of Geneon USA anime titles, has been cancelled.

In preparation for the transition, Geneon USA laid off the majority of its sales division, including all of its sales people. Customers of Geneon USA have informed us that they have been unable to obtain any information from Geneon USA about the current procedure for returns.

An ADV Films representative declined when asked to comment on the reasons behind the failure of the agreement.

Geneon USA previously distributed DVDs for Bandai Visual USA; Bandai Visual's future distribution plans have not been announced to the public.

In addition to the contracting of Geneon USA's sales and marketing to ADV Films, Dentsu Inc. (Geneon USA's parent company) was also planning on closing Geneon USA's in-house production by the end of the year. It is not known what was to be done with ongoing projects, such as the Hellsing video series, that will not finish in Japan before December 31.

Geneon USA did not respond to requests for comment in time for this article.

Errata: This article previously stated that Bandai Visual USA was looking for a new distributor. This was inaccurate. Bandai Visual USA informed ANN that it was looking at different options and did not comment further. ANN apologizes for this error.

Source: ANN News

Should be interesting to see what happens from here, as Geneon still has a number of titles it is producing, and has already fired a number of its staff, though I think they were all related to maketing and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 21st, 2007, 1:16 pm 
Resident Admin

An update to the last PR I posted:

Dentsu, ADV Films Confirm Withdrawal of Geneon Deal

In separate press releases, Dentsu Inc. and ADV Films have confirmed ANN's report that ADV Films will not be handling the sales, marketing, and distribution for Dentsu's anime subsidiary in the United States, Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc. Each of the two prospective partners say it was the one that withdrew the plans. Dentsu adds, "From October 1, 2007, Geneon USA will focus mainly on management of its works portfolio."

--------------------------------

I'm not really sure what they mean by the fact that "Geneon USA will focus on the management of its works." However, I do hope it doesn't negatively affect their releases :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 21st, 2007, 7:58 pm 
Post Master

Fuck that sucks. Geneon licensed a bunch of anime I enjoy. I hope this doesn't affect the releases as well, I want to see the rest of the Hellsing Ova series. 2 episodes just isn't enough. It just stopped at the point where the other series went off track. So I really haven't seen anything new yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 10:40 am 
Resident Admin

I hear ya, I have always been of Geneon and their releases, even if they were slightly more expensive than the others. The fall of Geneon has caused a lot of people to start analyzing what brought Geneon down, whether it was something wrong with the company, brought about by excessive piracy, or a combination thereof. But what was really disturbing is this tidbit by jsevakis over at ANN (He is the owner or co-owner of ANN, can't remember which)

jsevakis wrote:
There are still some hits, but according to the various reports I've read, absolutely nothing moves like it did in the 90's and early 2000's. (In one interview, Carl Macek, formerly of Streamline, noted that todays' average anime release does about 10% of the sales he got in the VHS days. I think that's an exaggeration, but not by much.) Many titles today move less than 3000 copies, which is not even enough to make back dubbing expenses. Some sell less than 1000. A few, less than 500.

This doesn't make me optimistic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 26th, 2007, 11:50 pm 
Resident Admin

Geneon USA to Cancel DVD Sales, Distribution by Friday
posted on 2007-09-26 11:25 EDT
Only taking orders for in-stock items, new releases dated November 6 or earlier

The onetime anime distribution company Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc. has notified its retail customers that it will cease "the sales of DVDs and all related distribution and marketing operations as of 5 p.m. on Friday, September 28, 2007." The deadline for ordering all Geneon USA products is that time and date, and only orders for "catalog products in inventory or new releases with a street date" of November 6 or earlier will be accepted. Any outstanding retail orders will ship as soon as stock is available. No more returns will be accepted after 5:00 p.m. on November 30, and new orders after September 21 cannot be returned at all. The letter to retailers also says that "payables to Geneon remain unchanged."

The letter does not address the issue of the future availability of titles, nor does it discuss Geneon USA's future production plans.

The Geneon USA letter to retailer cites the termination of the proposed sales and distribution alliance with A.D. Vision, Inc. as the reason for the changes. Geneon USA had laid off much of its own sales and marketing teams earlier this month. Geneon USA's parent company, the Japanese advertising firm Dentsu Inc., said that "from October 1, 2007, Geneon USA will focus mainly on management of its works portfolio."

Source: ANN

------------------------------------------

Still leaves open the possibility that they will just get the licenses and farm out all the work to other companies, so it may not end all their releases, just delay them some odd amount of time. Lets hope so, I have always been a fan of Geneon and the titles they have brought over here. (Even if they were a little pricey).

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 27th, 2007, 12:50 am 
Regular

*clears throat*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not good...scratch that...this is terrible. What if Hellsing OVA 3 is delayed or never released?
Or worse...it's released...but with another voice cast...EWWWW. Not to mention I was really enjoying Higurashi.

Sigh...this really sucks :cry: . I always liked Geneon because they put so much effort into having a good product.
I wonder if any other companies are having trouble....sigh....this really, really, sucks.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2007, 3:00 am 
Post Master

If worse comes to worst, and Geneon confirms that they will not continue production, then the only way to see the rest of Hellsing is through fansubs (god help me, I friggin hate subs).

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2007, 1:10 am 
Post Master

This fucking sucks, I just realized how much I might miss (if they stay out of business), I wont be able to see these series that I want to see:

Appleseed
Black Lagoon
Ergo Proxy
Gungrave
Zipang
Serial Experiments Lain
Trigun
Requiem from the Darkness (?)

Why did I have to come in the anime game so late. I was able to order Armitage III Poly-Matrix, Paranoia Agent, and Akira today from rightstuf, but now I'm broke. Hopefully some of the stock is high on some of the ones I want to see, and I might be able to buy some more before they are possibly completely gone. :evil: I was at a REALLY close trim there with Paranoia agent, at the first DVD only having 6 left.

I realize I would still be able to get them from Ebay, but I think Ebay sucks, something considered rare will sell for a price beyond my reach, and its unreliable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2007, 9:34 am 

I think I need to get a hold of the last Gungrave DVD's and Haibane Renmei, I never bought the later because it was difficult to find out the first art box and dvd at a good price... they sell the complete boxset, but it is not the same artbox.
In any case I found the dvds at 9 dollars each at the rightstuffinternational, but if i get the first dvd + artbox it will be around 30 dollars, I guess I'll have to settle with that, I just can't picture not getting the first artbox. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2007, 10:24 am 
Resident Admin

Geneon has such a backlog of titles and so many recent ones that I don't imagine they are just going to sit on them. Even if they go completely under they would try and sell off all their licenses, and for now it looks like they are going to be a licensor that has other companies do all the production and marketing on those licenses. Though this is more likely to happen with their recent titles as opposed to older ones that have already been out on the market for a while now. So it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to try and get the ones that you want now, before current supplies at stores dwindle.

Wolfwood, an art box man, just like myself :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2007, 2:36 am 
Post Master

WHAT THE FUCKING SHIT IS THIS???

Quote:
Unfortunately we are unable to ship your complete order due to the unforeseen demand for the items listed below, or your items are not yet released:

*lists everything I ordered*

We receive shipments of items from our suppliers every day, and your items are on order with the manufacturer. We hope to be able to fill your order promptly.

They say this even though everything I ordered had quantity left. And they can't receive shipments of new ones because Geneon is gone. What a bunch of bullshit, do they expect me to wait till Geneon finds a new distributer? If ever?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28  Next