Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 18th, 2017, 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tiger & Bunny
PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 8:00 am 

An unexpected gem. I didn't expect anything but somehow it has turned out to be quite an interesting premise.

The title stood out initially for being 'ad supported'. The character designs basically have random company ads all over them.

This actually ties into just how the show is. It is basically a superhero show, in the western Marvel/DC vein of things. They wear suits, have special powers and go around saving people from criminals and stuff.

Basically there are mutants in this world with special powers known as the Next. And they get employed as superheroes by various companies for profit - in their superhero-ing they spread the company name and this is where the ads on their costume design ties into it all. Not only that, these heroes compete for points on a superhero show. So its no longer about justice and doing what is right, it has become a commercialized steal the spotlight contest.

The main character is a veteran hero, Wild Tiger who still sticks to the classic hero ways, jump in and save the day. As a result he isn't too popular and his lack of planning results in collateral damage which isn't popular with the sponsors. His special power is to multiply his physical ability by 100x for 5 minutes. Episode 1 basically shows the heroes in action and how Wild Tiger is seemingly being left behind in the wake of the current generation along with the true face behind most of the heroes - celebrities involved in day saving rather than real heroes.

His life takes a new turn as the company that hired him is bought out and he finds himself partnered with a new hero with the same power as him. Under a new company and a partner unsympathetic to his beliefs, he's going to have to deal with his new life.

Post subject: Re: Tiger & Bunny
PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 1:05 pm 
Resident Scholar

The topic doesn't sound bad but I dislike advertising pushed in my face.
Can you still recommend it?

PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 2:20 am 

Its a competent show even with the whole advertising schtick going on. At any rate its not as obnoxious as having McDonalds and Pizza Huts on every street. You just some labels on the characters, of which some you might not even recognize. And well, gratuitous Pepsi ad in the middle of every episode.

If you are looking for some of that superhero nostalgia, is a pretty fine show to pick up. It does that and puts a different spin on things. Personally I'm fond of it, reminds me of my days as a kid watching superhero cartoons on weekend mornings.

Wouldn't have made a thread if I didn't recommend it =P

PostPosted: August 14th, 2011, 3:38 pm 

A fantastic show, if not one of the best shows I've seen this year. It comes highly recommended.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2011, 12:52 pm 
Resident Scholar

Shirogetsune wrote:
A fantastic show, if not one of the best shows I've seen this year. It comes highly recommended.

Even Shirogetsune pops up from his slumber. I should write this on my to-check list.