Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2007, 8:15 pm 
Regular

I suppose that's possible...though I personally don't believe it. (I'll just stay out of that topic till I can research it myself).

Course, my main problem with the new stuff is that I don't care for the characters. Eureka Seven was probably the last series that got me emotionally involved with the characters (episode 48 made me cry).

Some of the new stuff falls into the "meat grinder class" in my mind (meaning I want to shove the characters into a meatgrinder and slowly turn the knob), but most of the stuff I dislike from the new batch just have boring/annoying characters (Elfin lied, One piece, Bleach, Naruto, etc.)

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2007, 10:50 pm 

The general thing in increasingly popular media is that the crap stuff will always outnumber the good stuff, almost at an exponential rate, the more popular it gets.

Picking out the crap sucks, but you if you don't want to be a pirate and all that stuff, I think its still somewhat acceptable to use fansubs to gauge how good stuff is before going out and getting them. I mean there has been good stuff recently. Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Hayate the Combat Butler(still airing~)... but then if you don't watch fansubs that really isn't your definition of new, but rather in the future. There was also Haruhi and Ouran.

Now that I think about it, stuff may just be more forgettable because of how much more stuff I'm watching. I've increased how much anime I've been watching in the past, and when you marathon stuff, it just doesn't stick in your memory very well. And the more you watch at once, the less you remember and hence stuff seems more forgettable. But then I always rewatch stuff I enjoy so it sticks in my head...

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2007, 9:53 am 
Regular

Storm Shinobi wrote:
Sometimes I think that the more veteran fans are just more used to the various gimmicks, cliches and more exposed to the various genre, types and plots found in anime, hence the newer series just seem old crap to them. Well standards do change over time and I mean, some good old series aren't all that either. I picked up Outlaw Star recently, and it was pretty damn forgettable for what praise it had gotten.

I don't think so, every since my first anime episode I was always very critic, I always found most anime either boring (plot drags or not deep enough) or simple brainless (fan service anyone?). I remember having a hard time to find good anime earlier (around 2001 when I started) because there were so few good review sites, so I was stuck with only the ones reviewed at Animetric. As soon as I finished those (and I only got interest in like a fifth from the titles in Animetric) I was experienced enough to know my stuff.

But now it's a lot harder, too much crap being released. The fact this thread exists proves it, we have to quote good titles, like picking the good beans in the crap bag T_T

I am obviously tired of some cliche stuff, but from time to time I do watch them, I need something like a time to let things settle down and than I can watch them. In fact, there are (rare) periods where I put everything aside and LOOK for them just to (a) see what they are doing today and (b) some brainless stuff once in a while is O.K. lol

Storm Shinobi wrote:
Now that I think about it, stuff may just be more forgettable because of how much more stuff I'm watching. I've increased how much anime I've been watching in the past, and when you marathon stuff,

Yeah! I also have that problem, marathoning turned out to be a bad idea, I now take my time or I seriously won't remember what I watched in a year. All anime I watched in one site I usually forget all details and sometimes even some plot twists after a couple of years, while those I took my time (or watched as they were being released) tend to stay. I used to hate chiffhangers so I only watched stuff in one sit after I had it all, but now I get to watch as they are released xD~

About Code Geass, it was pretty obvious to me (perhaps just to me) they were reaching a good settled conclusion. Not to spoil for those who did not watch I will just say this: Imagine Euphemia and Zero's relationship working for the best and her ideas also working, and you have what I thought would be the end (though it would leave the Lelouch revenge in the background, but it would be a way better ending. Also, the way they suddenly "aborted" everything that was going, dropped by parachute V.V. and other characters that never existed and pulled the plot sideways to a whole new plot on the 2 last episodes was really annoying =p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2007, 10:14 pm 

A sudden happy ending would be rather half baked. I mean Lelouch finally gets his shit together and some pink haired airhead somehow solves everything. Then we'd get opposition from her siblings and father, and its not like all the rebels will sit tight and peacefully submit. And we'd be leaving C.C and the mystery behind the Geass behind in some plot hole along with just how the heck she communicates with Marianne. Then theres also the mysterious ruins where Lelouch jacked Gawain and just what the hell the Emperor is up to. It everything was just resolved peacefully with all the mystery behind the Geass just left hanging like that, it'd feel like getting cold water dumped on top of you. Besides, its about time these silly idealistic overly passive lets stop war by smiling at each other kind of people did not succeed for once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2007, 11:00 pm 
Regular

Quote:
Then we'd get opposition from her siblings and father, and its not like all the rebels will sit tight and peacefully submit. And we'd be leaving C.C and the mystery behind the Geass behind in some plot hole along with just how the heck she communicates with Marianne. Then theres also the mysterious ruins where Lelouch jacked Gawain and just what the hell the Emperor is up to. It everything was just resolved peacefully with all the mystery behind the Geass just left hanging like that, it'd feel like getting cold water dumped on top of you. Besides, its about time these silly idealistic overly passive lets stop war by smiling at each other kind of people did not succeed for once.

You see only what is right in front of you, so let me take a step back fron your own description and show how great this can turn (yes, the best plot comes from the most simple ideas, just like that!):

Add a small twists at this and tou got what I was hoping: The settle with Euphimie ideas (please, I feel ofended with the pink haired stuff, she was an idealistic peacefull person I think post people shoud be, what's the matter with everybody wanting blood and war?), surelly enough siblings and fater wouldn't let it and bang you have pretty much enough material for a second season don't you think? Euphie+rebels against Brittania. Also far enough time to keep C.C. plot going.

Quote:
Besides, its about time these silly idealistic overly passive lets stop war by smiling at each other kind of people did not succeed for once

I would get into personal comments here, but let me settle I feel very sory for people with that mindset.

In case someone here didn't notice, I abominate and despise all forms of war.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2007, 11:44 pm 

I'm not some warmongering guy who promotes violence, but in terms of entertainment, that archetype has been pulled and used and have succeeded way too much, and simply put, its boring. I sure as hell don't want to see another Lacus and Kira Yamato taking all the fame and glory. Shoot Euphie, and Suzaku starts to go on a murder spree and tosses his ideals, its a much better swirl of action and drama.

Euphie and Suzaku rebelling would be against their ideals anyway, fixing and changing the existing system instead of bashing it.

At any rate, what I thought is that you thought it could have been concluded with just one season, and well, I say it needs the 2nd season if any conclusion is going to be made.

Its an anime about war, racial discrimination and overthrowing an empire. Its simply not something that should turn into a flowery cakewalk, the situation should just get worse, more crap should happen, which keeps the drama, action and suspense going making the show interesting. The selling point of the show was really mostly(for me anyway) Lelouch and how he would go about pulling off his plans and how his character would develop as a result, not about Suzaku being a one man army or Euphie's unrealistic preaching.

Sure the cliffhanger really sucked.... (mainly because of the wait for 2nd season though)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10th, 2007, 12:04 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Caiobrz wrote:
Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Besides, its about time these silly idealistic overly passive lets stop war by smiling at each other kind of people did not succeed for once

I would get into personal comments here, but let me settle I feel very sorry for people with that mindset.

In case someone here didn't notice, I abominate and despise all forms of war.

So much so that you don't like war in your anime? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10th, 2007, 12:18 am 
Regular

Guys, we've gotten off-topic.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10th, 2007, 8:52 am 
Regular

Quote:
So much so that you don't like war in your anime?

I was just arguing my view about that he was against idealistic peacefull people. Also, I hate war but let's face it, we don't have a voice, so you have to accept how people will always go to war at the most stupid reasons and all we can do is hope less people die until it's finished =p but FYI I would go to jail rather than be deployed to war.

Anyway, we will have to wait and see the slaughter continue at Code Geass 2 =p

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10th, 2007, 11:54 am 

I wasn't against idealistic peaceful people in general, I just don't like how they clog up decent mecha war anime and turn them into total sap fests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2007, 9:20 am 
Regular

Yeap,I agree it's somewhat stupid to get all idealistic in the MIDDLE of a war, better let it settle and than try to fix thing. I only think that in CG what Euphemia was doing was not in the middle of a war, quite oposite, she was trying to prevent a war that was on the verge to break (and would break anyway for sure, except it would be actually a lot more interesting seeing 11's+Zero against Brittania than just Zero against Brittania (that not even sound realistic even given his power).

So, back to thread, any other good titles recently? I was told about Gurren Laggan and Touka Gettan (don't know it that's the right speeling for both) ~ I will download both but Iam unsure.

What about Darker than black?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2007, 1:15 pm 

First you guys have offically made me want to see Code Geass. I am tired of shows were the overly optimistic 'Oh fighting is stupid therefore we should stop' strikes everyone at the same time and ends a war. Mean wars aren't that easy to stop.

Second I would like to restate that I love fan fair/fanservice. However I am getting tired of how overloaded EVERY anime is getting with it. As Acurmuphy said awhile ago. While its nice to see up a hot girl's skirt this does not tell us what her reaction to what is being said is. Also because there is an over focus on fanservice and animation they aren't putting the money they should into hiring excellent writters to spit out interesting thought out, interesting, winding, spelled wrong sorry, stories.

Last edited by The Adict on October 12th, 2007, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2007, 1:38 pm 
Regular

Quote:
First you guys have offically made me want to see Code Geass. I am tired of shows were the overly optimistic 'Oh fighting is stupid therefore we should stop' strikes everyone at the same time and ends a war. Mean wars aren't that easy to stop.

Nobody said Code Geass is not good, just that they changed too much to make a second season =p

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 14th, 2007, 7:45 am 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
lol you do realize this last statement got me really confused on what you think, since earlier you mentioned:

Okay to clearify things: yes I do believe that Japanese anime distributors are looking to release titles directly to the US and other foreign because there is a significant enough fanbase in foreign markets for such an endeavor to be more profitable than selling those distribution rights to foreign distributors (i.e if the foreign fanbase were not so significant, it would probably be profitable to sell distribution rights to foreign distributors than to release foreign versions of your product directly). However, this doesn't mean that Japanese anime studios are actually tailoring their anime for foreign audiences. Does that make sense to you? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 16th, 2007, 10:33 am 
Regular

Quote:
Does that make sense to you?

Only if you mean "not all anime" are being tailored ... but if one is aiming to foreign markets, it's only natural they would try to add/bias it's contents to what is more popular and profitable, and right now there are two things: mecha titles which can sell toys to kids, and ecchi titles which will attract the other portion of the audience: male teenagers (in contrast with child).

Thus, I agree that probably only a minority of the titles are biased towards that foreing market, others are aimed but not changed (they see the chance and license/add publicity overseas), and others (hopefully the majority) remains what it is.

The worst anime is inside the first batch :twisted: childish or with too fanservice

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next