Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 16th, 2017, 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 24th, 2007, 4:50 am 
Regular

lol since I grew in Brazil and took me like up to age 22~24 to understand english fluently, I always watched movies/series with subtitles (I always hated dubs, they destroy the voice acting), so I got used to speed reading. Now I do the same with anime, only in english, so yes, I agree that those that are not used to it (alas, natural language being english and thus used to movies/series without subs) would get some hard time reading subs - but it IS worth it, plus speed reading is good for your brain :?

Back to thread, about first semester of 2007 new anime, these are worth so far (and are not sequels):

Sola
Seirei no Moribito
Nodame Cantabile
Code Geass

These I'm not sure (are so so, it's up to how they finish if they would be "worth" it)

Kaze no Stigma
Bokurano
Terra He (on the verge of dropping, it's going down the drill, watched up to 6)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 24th, 2007, 7:50 pm 

The subtittle discussion aside, Amex Yohko you're right. Things is that series, well the first season was good and didn't bug me too much. Now series like Gravitation and Moonchild I won't touch with a three mile pole. Partial because I'm too weak to lift the dang pole, the other I can't stand homsexual manga, so shoot me. But we've gotten off subject, what do you guys besides homo anime is wrong with anime lately. I still feel the worst thing is the crappy endings most have lately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 25th, 2007, 4:00 pm 

I believe the main problem with newer anime series is:
The idea that western anime title must appeal more to children(as stated before)
The stupidly long running series that kills the mood of the series
The boring characters
The same reused plots

Now I know it is hard to create something that is completely new since almost every anime idea has been done before. Same problem is happening now with live action movies.

One of the main reasons I have stopped watching anime/reading manga is because all these newer anime series are boring and get old quick. I do not have high speed internet so I am forced to watch anime on TV only. I see anime on some movie channels, Fuse(they now have E. Proxy and that other show...), and of course Cartoon Network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 26th, 2007, 8:51 am 

Yeah I know what you mean Zero Choas. I have the same problem. Sci fi and Noein and Tokko, but both sci fi and fuse are murdering the series with censores and edits. I also agree that there haven't really been any 'orginal' anime in a long time. I also am starting to have a problem with how many anime are all but eliminating men from the series, like Divergence Eve and a few others. I love women but I can't quiet enjoy an anime as much when theire is no men.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 27th, 2007, 2:46 am 
Newcomer

what's wrong with most new anime? Too much CGI and not enough focus on the writing or story development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 27th, 2007, 1:07 pm 

I second that one Lone Outlaw. So many have poor extremely poor writing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2007, 6:55 am 
Major Contributor

zero_chaos wrote:
One of the main reasons I have stopped watching anime/reading manga is because all these newer anime series are boring and get old quick. I do not have high speed internet so I am forced to watch anime on TV only. I see anime on some movie channels, Fuse(they now have E. Proxy and that other show...), and of course Cartoon Network.

Well the good news is that anime is being released and licensed for foreign distribution far faster than before. One of the reasons of course is that anime simply isn't selling as well as it used to in Japan (I'm talking about DVD sales), so Japanese distributors are looking to foreign markets, sometimes looking at foreign markets even before the domestic markets, to fill in the profit gaps. Some studios will likely release anime DVDs directly in the US instead of licensing them out to US distributors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2007, 10:44 pm 
Regular

Quote:
One of the reasons of course is that anime simply isn't selling as well as it used to in Japan (I'm talking about DVD sales), so Japanese distributors are looking to foreign markets, sometimes looking at foreign markets even before the domestic markets, to fill in the profit gaps. Some studios will likely release anime DVDs directly in the US instead of licensing them out to US distributors.

Where did you particularly get that from? I always worked with the impression, backed from most information and news from sites such as ANN, that most revenues from anime came from the overpriced air slots from pay TV. In fact, some friends who visited Japan (and one who lives there) also told me it's was (seams still is) cheaper to buy the DVD rather than pay the fee for some of the channels that aired anime. Just as an recent example, Code Geass was supposed to be 23 episodes but they decided to add extra two episode (because of all the heat and need to paste a hustly made conclusion to cliffhanger to a new second season) and they simply had no air slot available under a reasonable price. Conclusion? delay of months, and than further delays, to air it. The DVD version came out almost at the same time, people think it was on purpose but it wasn't.

It's true more and more anime is being produced to foreing markets, but it's not the general rule. Also, only because western industry became aware latelly that anime sells and have a big fandom and decided to start lcensing stuff (finally, huh?) does not means they are doing that because anime opened for such possiblity: western companies did not buy them because they didn't want to, in fact, you will probably see a lot of older (5+ years) series are only getting licensed now in Europe or US.

I refute the idea the anime (as a WHOLE) is switching aims to foreing market. It is, but not as a whole. For instance, I would love to see any western company buy Mahou Shoujo Tai Alice ... never would work, it's heavilly embed with Japanese culture and language.

this is probably just a misunderstanding because yes there are lots of titles that aim for foreign fans, but unfortunatelly most aim for fan service fans. Because they are aimed (and licensed obviously) around here, they get a lot more "advertising", thus we go under the impression this is all there is to it.

If anything can be said, I would venture say that because of this increased western-oriented fanservice franshise that has been made with lots of local advertising, we get so much attention to them that the overlooked anime are even MORE overlooked. If you take a look for the huge list of new anime this year (I bet it is past 200), I doubt half of it will receive the attention it should.

More than ever before I say to people "search for the unknown 'underground' titles, they are probably the best" ... and it's often true ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2007, 7:46 am 
Major Contributor

Well DVD sales have picked up a bit recently with titles like Code Geass selling over 44,000 copies and Lucky Star selling over 34,000 copies thus far. However, as you said yourself, the Japanese DVD market is still more tailored toward hardcore fans than the mainstream audience, hence DVDs in Japan are still quite expensive, especially if you compare them to game prices (i.e. a volume of Geass typically runs you about ¥5,000 while a new game release like Halo 3 is only around ¥8,000 -- prices from Amazon.jp -- Compare this to US prices where new DVD releases are generally in the $15-20 range while new game releases are $60. That's a 3x to 4x price difference in the US compared to a 1.5x price difference in Japan. And this is considering Halo 3, which admittedly is overpriced in Japan. A typical video game would come closer to the ¥6,000 to ¥7,000 range) Also I'm not saying that anime are being produced for a western audience, but merely that several Japanese studios are going to be releasing DVDs directly to foreign markets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2007, 12:42 pm 
Regular

spazmaster666 wrote:
Well DVD sales have picked up a bit recently with titles like Code Geass selling over 44,000 copies

Yeah, and for that they cropped, destroyed, twisted and imploded the series just for the sake of expanding it for another season ...... well, that was to be expected from Sunrise T_T

If anything at all, for the thread question "What's wrong with most new anime" I would even dare say "WE happened" (as in westerns) LOOOOOOL :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2007, 2:43 pm 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
If anything at all, for the thread question "What's wrong with most new anime" I would even dare say "WE happened" (as in westerns) LOOOOOOL :wink:

Well not necessarily. Just as American TV is pretty much tailored for American audiences, most anime these days are still very much tailored for Japanese audiences. I doubt very much that foreign DVD sales has much influence over what kind of anime a studio decides to produce or a what a TV network decides to purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2007, 5:26 pm 
Regular

spazmaster666 wrote:
Well not necessarily. Just as American TV is pretty much tailored for American audiences, most anime these days are still very much tailored for Japanese audiences. I doubt very much that foreign DVD sales has much influence over what kind of anime a studio decides to produce or a what a TV network decides to purchase.

lol you do realize this last statement got me really confused on what you think, since earlier you mentioned:

spazmaster666 wrote:
so Japanese distributors are looking to foreign markets, sometimes looking at foreign markets even before the domestic markets, to fill in the profit gaps.

Yet, I do think that the increase in brainless fan-service shows are related to the increased foreign market awareness, also some plots that are simply dragged to exaustion are also somewhat there. For instance, 10 years ago I don't see titles such as Full Metal Alchemist or Eureka Seven getting the spotlight as these titles did by being released recently. I also believe 10 years ago, as much as Code Geass was (past tense to denote original plot line, not the hastly extended version they delivered) really good, I don't think it would get a second season let alone increased to 25 episodes. Most of it's commercial sucess came from the western marketing which did not exist 10 years ago.

There are still amazing titles out there, but it's getting hard to pick them because you have to browse thru so much bad stuff getting released that more often than not (in my case at least), I quit trying quickly. I never realized/was tipped that a given new series was good when it was nearing it's end before, since I usually was able to more or less realize that from the first episode and plot. But latelly MOST good title I end up being tipped as they finish airing because I did not pick it earler so tired of watching bad stuff T_T (and you can probably imagine my despair as I pick Code Geass when it's around ep 15, and watch it and became a fan, only to see it ruined just to drag it for a second season T_T)

IMHO the recent burst of lame titles (regardless if caused in part or whole by western interest) is only going to damage an already delicate Anime image. 5 years ago I could proudly tell people "no, Anime is not that, there is more than meets the eye, these titles are only the few that manage to get here due to merchandising and sales value" ... now this is not true T_T

I used to write reviews to allow people to "refine" what to watch, now I write reviews in an desperate attempt to WARN people, and man, that's sad :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2007, 6:36 pm 
Regular

Fan service shows are related to foreign markets? I don't know about that.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2007, 7:17 pm 
Regular

Quote:
Fan service shows are related to foreign markets? I don't know about that.

¬¬

Obviously not, if you take care to read our posts you will read the word "increase" before the words "fan service" =p

If you fly back to lat 90's, the fanservice show proportion (carefull use of word proportion, not absolute number) was insanelly lower than today's ... why? perhaps because Hentai always took that place (including softcore hentais such as Buttobi CPU and others), or anime was not so famous for having fanservice. I remember when people said Love Hina was overly fan-service (oh, if only they knew what was to come next).

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2007, 8:14 pm 

Caiobrz wrote:
spazmaster666 wrote:
Well DVD sales have picked up a bit recently with titles like Code Geass selling over 44,000 copies

Yeah, and for that they cropped, destroyed, twisted and imploded the series just for the sake of expanding it for another season ...... well, that was to be expected from Sunrise T_T

There was no way the story could have been concluded within 1 season anyway(unless you continuously kill people, shaft out loads of characters and just catapult it at breakneck speeds into an unsatisfying conclusion), they so needed a 2nd season. I don't see Lelouch taking the world in 25 episodes and they already offed a certain somebody to step up the pace.

At any rate, a bunch of companies are letting people download the first episode of a bunch of series for free, to let people sample what to watch so it would help narrow down what to buy.

Sometimes I think that the more veteran fans are just more used to the various gimmicks, cliches and more exposed to the various genre, types and plots found in anime, hence the newer series just seem old crap to them. Well standards do change over time and I mean, some good old series aren't all that either. I picked up Outlaw Star recently, and it was pretty damn forgettable for what praise it had gotten.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next