Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2007, 1:27 pm 

Hmmm me and Zaxares agree on alot of things, that wierd. No we are not the same person posting. And 42317 that's a matter of reading sped, which mine is shot. Also that leaves a huge chance at completely missunderstanding what is being said and destroying the series. But i should have expected this kind of reply from other otaku's.

In any case I just was going threw my catalog again and ended up watching a old cell hand painted anime then a computer cell and I have to say that though the computer was smoother and more complex but it lacked the personality that the hand cell had. Mean I felt like I was watching plastic models not people or art. I get that feeling with a lot of computer cel anime and I start missing the old hand drawn days. Mean sure sometimes it felt like you were only watching pictures but I found it easier to connect wit hthe characters on screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2007, 5:50 pm 
Regular

Quote:
I generally prefer dubs for one major reason; if a film is subtitled, I tend to spend most of my time reading the dialogue, and not concentrating on the scene at hand.

I am yet to see a dub be as rich and ... correct ... as any fansub is (note proposital lack of comparision with oficial subs). I agree with 42317 that it's a question of training. I'm not even a natural english speaker and I can read english subtitles fast enough to watch the anime, and also, if I think I missed something, I can always use the rewind button and rewatch the scene without reading the subs (since I already did).

Again, as 42317 mentioned, having some japanese knowledge is nice, even better if you learn it. I can usually understand about 50% of the usual senteces so I don't need to look at the subtitles on more "normal daily" dialogues, and I learned that from anime (ok, I did 1 year of Japanese but that does not count :roll: )

Regarding cell animation vs CG animation, that's only a matter of quality. Early on the use of CG animation, studios thought it was cool and stuff (or used it to lower production costs) and it was indeed quite er ... shitty? :twisted: But you can clearly see when a studio spends it's time to make quality images. One instance is Suzumiya Haruhi, top-notch animation, I have the clear impression they did every frame of a 24fps TV, which I cannot tell about most anime (they often stick to 12 fps or less). The same way there are really bad animation with cell, there are also bad animation with CG, and other way around it. It's not the cell/CG to blaim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2007, 6:49 pm 
Major Contributor

Yeah I used to spend a lot of time reading the subs as well. But after a while I got to used to being able to read most subs in less than a second, as 42317 has commented on. Also, if you've studies rudimentary Japanese, then some of the more common phrases won't even need a glance at the subtitles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2007, 9:27 pm 
Regular

I think it's probably a case of my own particular reading style coming into play. I am a trained speed reader and I can read text at an exceedingly fast rate when I wish to, but when allowed the time to do so, I prefer to read much more slowly, letting the meaning and impact of individual words and sentences soak into my brain (weird analogy, I know). I just gain more enjoyment from books and other written media that way.

Where anime and other visual media is concerned, it's an entirely different experience, and having to read subtitles at the same time creates a kind of 'distortion' in my brain that tends to spoil the experience of both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2007, 10:42 am 

See unless I get into a transe or something, in which I can read about a hundred some pages in a half hour, I read really really slowly so I can pick up all the hidden meanings in the sentances. Which means me pausing the show so I can read the suptitles then watching the scene until it changes, wash and repeat. This destroys the show for me. I can't help it I have crap reading speed most of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2007, 1:12 pm 
Major Contributor

Well it's not just about reading speed. I guess after a while, you can just look at the subtitles and automatically "get the meaning" sort of like what 42317 was talking about. It's hard to explain, I guess it's just something you have to experience for yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2007, 11:49 pm 

Yeah, you kinda.... subconsciously just absorb the subs without actually having to focus on the subs and read them in your head. It like just plays in your head auto, like your brain auto-translating the dialogue. Its kinda.... weird I suppose.

But well I do have trouble digesting what was said if it is one of those random anime episodes where everything flies by a bit too quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2007, 3:04 pm 
Regular

i believe this "absorbing" and "getting the meaning" is simply that most of us have learned a lot of the language, plus we rely on expression and tone of the characters. i watched a fast paced french movie, Banlieue 13, and many times i could not keep up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2007, 3:49 pm 
Major Contributor

dbd_addict wrote:
i believe this "absorbing" and "getting the meaning" is simply that most of us have learned a lot of the language, plus we rely on expression and tone of the characters. i watched a fast paced french movie, Banlieue 13, and many times i could not keep up.

Well it works for me for pretty much any subtitled movie. Even when I'm reading normally, I've gotten used to just look at a group of text (usually a sentence or two) and immediately recognizing the meaning of it, without actually having to read it methodically. Obviously dialogue is easier to do this with than a textbook, but the principle is similar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2007, 4:05 pm 
Regular

i guess you are simply a faster reader than i. normally the foreign films i watch are not action, so this french movie with it's "witty" banter about neutron bombs and quick planning had me reeling. though it was not that many times since 80% of the movie consisted of free running and gunshots...

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2007, 12:50 am 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
I am sorry for bit late and I agree that Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu and Ouran has they own pros and cons.I don't hate yaoi/shounen-ai.I just hate the people who like yaoi/shounen-ai.I am not racist and discriminative.I just hate to see their craze towards yaoi/shounen-ai.I also checked the list of new 2007 anime and I saw the yaoi just keep rising.Even 'kiddies' anime now rare.

Off-topic:

The first 'bishounen harem' anime is not Fruits Basket.It was Fushigi Yuugi,as far as I know.However it not as popular as Fruits Basket and Ouran because the 'traditional harem' still very popular that time when Fushigi Yuugi was aired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2007, 2:23 pm 

I understand what everybodies saying about understanding the text at a glance. But as I writer I feel insuloted we put a lot of thought into what we right and diolog is a bitch to write without being corny. I also I feel you that you lose a lot of artistery of series if you just skim the diolog. But I'm sure that's just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2007, 2:33 pm 
Major Contributor

The Adict wrote:
I understand what everybodies saying about understanding the text at a glance. But as I writer I feel insuloted we put a lot of thought into what we right and diolog is a bitch to write without being corny. I also I feel you that you lose a lot of artistery of series if you just skim the diolog. But I'm sure that's just my opinion.

Here's the thing though. The only movies in which the dialogue is worth reading closely are the movies that probably don't involve a whole lot of action or fast movements. And hence those are the movies in which you can concentrate on reading the subtitles carefully since you don't have to be paying as much attention to what the characters are doing (since they're mainly talking)

Also, you can also learn to read the text and watch what the characters are doing at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13th, 2007, 1:34 am 

Furuba wasn't much of a boy harem anyway, sure there were pretty boys all around but they pretty much had their own love interest so the closest thing to a harem was the overall Tohru, Yuki and Kyo triangle, which breaks up late in the series anyway. And the leftover guy finds his own girlfriend for that matter....

Its just a matter of multitasking. Its pretty much as spaz said, reading it by simply glancing at it without methodically reading through it. As a result of this, I don't actually spot any spelling mistakes the subbers make unless its really obvious. Like going through some subs sometimes, I see some spelling mistakes XD

Super quick conversations do have me rewinding a bit and stuff, and of course two people talking at the same time, hence two lines of subs and if you add subbed signs in the background.... thats gonna get me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13th, 2007, 3:08 am 
Major Contributor

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Its just a matter of multitasking. Its pretty much as spaz said, reading it by simply glancing at it without methodically reading through it. As a result of this, I don't actually spot any spelling mistakes the subbers make unless its really obvious. Like going through some subs sometimes, I see some spelling mistakes XD

True, but it's still nothing like reading posts on an online forum . . . ;)

Though most of the time, I can tell whether or not the translation is accurate or not, even if I don't completely understand the Japanese.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Super quick conversations do have me rewinding a bit and stuff, and of course two people talking at the same time, hence two lines of subs and if you add subbed signs in the background.... thats gonna get me.

Not to mention the popup explanations during more nuanced shows (that are catered toward a Japanese audience) such as Yakitate! Japan or Gintama.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next