Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 18th, 2017, 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2007, 8:09 pm 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
You know yaoi/shounen-ai?

It killed new animes worst than "kiddies" ones.If I got two choices either to watch Princess Princess or Pokemon,I will watch Pokemon instead.Nothing is gross in this world seeing two men kissing each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2007, 10:46 pm 
Regular

Amex_Yohko wrote:
Nothing is gross in this world seeing two men kissing each other.

I'm sure that's a matter of personal preference. :wink: I can't say I understand the popularity of yaoi/shounen-ai myself, but it must be popular for a reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2007, 4:59 am 

There are girls who like the stuff. Like those who dream of a blue winged white Gundam abducting them on their wedding. And well I have nothing against them since well, what do they think of the guys that like seeing girls go at each other? Its all a matter of perspective and gender I suppose. I don't exactly have lesbian fantasies/fetishes but I'm sure there are guys that do.

I have nothing against a certain level of gayness, since I find it amusing. And my limit would be Ouran High School Host Club. Hikaru and Kaoru groping each other is as gay as I'll take it. Once kissing gets pulled into the fold, I'll pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2007, 6:31 am 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
I see many good points out there and I have my own opinions too.

The main point I said that about yaoi/shounen-ai is most new animes are shouen-ai/yaoi.Even "kiddie" titles are rare.I just look a list about new animes of 2007 and nearly half of them are shounen-ai/yaoi.I dislike(not hate) yaoi because I'm a man.Even in Malaysia,which where I came from,nearly all bookstores invaded by shounen-ai/yaoi mangas.Both licensed and unlicensed.Now I'm worried by this "invasion" and think "where's yuri".I'm not a yuri fan but I believe good dose of yuri will balance this anime/manga world.I tried to find any yuri/shoujo-ai mangas but I don't find any.Maybe Most Malaysians prefer shounen(action) instead such as Dragon Ball,Groove Rave Adventure and Naruto.Even most local-born cartoonists try to make their own.Only some few(mostly females) more interested to make their own boy-love stories like any shounen-ai mangas.When I look all these situations,I think "what the hell this world going on.Where's balance of yaoi?" Shounen-ai/yaoi become virus of today's anime communities.You can't go anywhere without seeing one of them.Fortunately no single of them reach here,maybe this forum still young.

Ouran High School Host Club is one anime which I spent my lifetime avoiding it.Many newer shoujo-ai/yuri animes overwhelmed by its popularity.I know Ouran was not the first anime using that genre(bishounen harem).It was pioneered by Fruits Basket,another anime I currently avoid.After Fruits Basket were shown in Malaysia in early 2006,rabid yaoi fangirls flocked nearby bookstores and yaoi mangas invade my country.Then came Ouran which make this "disease" even worse.Most Malaysians said that the best 2006 anime is Ouran.They said contender Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu were overrated.I disagree.There are lot other animes better than Ouran.They just don't know about it.Yeah,I know there are some male Ouran fans and I still wonder why male Ouran fans attracted to this anime.Most of them claimed because it comedy,just like male version of Azumanga Daioh.Even today,I still thinking about it.

Because of that,I turn myself into a yuri fanboy although I'm not really into yuri.I just want to keep good balance between yaoi and yuri.I'm not an anti-yaoi.I just dislike its fans bashing on yuri.I felt sorry for some yuri fangirs who are "brutally trashed" by some yaoi fangirls.I may wrong but opinions are NOT facts.Let's not start a fight here.

Off-topic:
The "blue winged white gundam" you mentioned is Freedom Gundam From Gundam Seed Destiny.It was when Kira "kidnap" Cagalli so Cagalli will never marry Yunna,the ugly monster in that anime.Kira and Cagalli are my favourite incest pairing and "incest" pairings are rare in anime/manga world.

pardon me for my "broken English".I'm not an English-speaking person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2007, 7:47 am 
Regular

Hmmm... Well, you may have a point. I'm not really a participant in mainstream anime/manga circles, so I have little idea of the current trends and typical demographics of anime/manga fans. There may be a gross imbalance towards yaoi/shounen now simply because the studios are noticing that it's what's selling at the moment, and so they just give the public more of what they want. I have no doubt that in time, the pendulum will swing back the other way again.

I do agree with you on one point though; there's no excuse to attack somebody over their anime/manga preferences, whether it's yaoi or yuri or tentacles. We're all part of the big otaku family. Let's all get along. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2007, 11:07 am 

Hmmmmm. . . Here in the states, fortunately most homsexual manga haven't made the jump. Also Amex Yohko what are you talking about? Fruits Basket start out as boy harem and stays that way in the anime, true but by the later volumes that goes away as all of the characters develope the own love intersts with different people, and is actually a really good manga.

The main problem here anime is mostly for guys, no complaints there, I love eechi and stuff like that, but almost all the manga is Shojo. I hate most Shojo, why because remove the names from 90% of them and they're axactly the same story over and over and over again. There are exceptions like X, Ceres and a few others but most are a waste of time. I read them at night to induce boredom and sleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2007, 2:13 pm 
Regular

Amex Yohko, you really should watch the first few episodes of Fruit Baskets and Ouran High School Host Club. i am with you on disliking yaoi anime, but those two anime you avoid so much only use it for comic relief.

give them a try. they are hilarious! in my opinion, much better than a lot of the crap out there. though if you are more into boys fighting boys anime then carry on and disregard my suggestion...

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2007, 8:47 pm 

Anyway Fruits Basket and Ouran High School Host Club are good shows. You don't have to dislike it because there are strange girls.... who watch it for the guys. But then really, even I check certain games and anime out because of character designs so I don't quite blame them.

Furuba wasn't that much of a boy harem though. Theres that love triangle with Kyo, Yuki and Tohru at the start. I suppose you could kinda say the rabbit was in the mix a little. I liked how everybody found their own path in the end.

No idea about it being a problem in Malaysia though. But then I haven't exactly been in tune with the local fans. Sure I met two girls who would watch... Gravitation and swoon over certain bishounen characters. I used Chrno to expose them to Chrno Crusade and... bishies to back my recommendation of Wolf's Rain XD
I end up liking random shoujo manga at any rate. I have Shugo Chara on my shelf :P

Anyway in my opinion, reverse harems tend to be more amusing than harems. Maybe because I think the prince type is funny as hell, and there isn't a prince type among women, nor is there even a similar comparison...

At any rate, I wouldn't condemn all shoujo manga. I mean theres plenty of shounen series that are pretty much-
-Guy wants to protect girl
-Guy gets stronger
-Guy still gets stronger
-Guy forgets about girl
-Guy wants to get even stronger
-Girl leaves him for villain
-Guy emos
-Love and strength saves the day?!

I mean seriously. And stuff like Bleach and Naruto are like a never ending path to getting stronger and whacking stronger enemies.

But really, saying Ouran is better than Suzumiya Haruhi. Ouran is good and all, but it lacks the impact Suzumiya Haruhi did. The latter was simply... something totally new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2007, 9:36 pm 
Major Contributor

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
But really, saying Ouran is better than Suzumiya Haruhi. Ouran is good and all, but it lacks the impact Suzumiya Haruhi did. The latter was simply... something totally new.

Believe it or not there are a lot of anime fans out there who thought Suzumiya Haruhi was nothing more mediocre (I'm not one of them but I know quite a few) Sure it was pretty out there and told the story in a pretty non traditional manner (airing the episodes out of order and so forth) but you couldn't really call it completely original either. But you're right Haruhi was definitely more influential but yet I don't really want to watch the series again. Ouran on the other hand, I've watched twice already, some episode three or four times. Suzumiya Haruhi certainly was a standout show that was different enough and crazy enough to separate itself from a lot of other anime. However, despite its uniqueness, it's not nearly as entertaining or as enjoyable as a show like Ouran.

Why is that you ask? Well despite the excellent animation, likeable characters, interesting plot, good direction, and unique storytelling, what Haruhi lacked, and what an anime like Ouran has, is charm. Even as I was watching the show and indeed liking it, I never got that feeling you get when you watch something special. Watching Haruhi is more like looking at a fine piece of art, it's technically sound and excellently crafted, but it lacks the charm that grabs you and holds on tight. I got that when I watched Bebop, I got that when I watched Evangelion, and even Ouran, but I didn't get that when I watched Suzumiya Haruhi. In fact it's probably one of the only shows that I like that I haven't rewatched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2007, 11:54 pm 

I've rewatched each Haruhi episode a good few times as it was released each week, and rewatched the whole thing in chronological order a good three times.

Haruhi certain does charm me. They both have their own good aspects and stuff, but I'll never get bored of watching Episode 2 of Haruhi. Maybe I just really really like Kyon. That opening speech never gets boring. The only dull episode would be episode 9.

Not saying Ouran is crap though, I've watched it twice myself.

Although I have a different taste I suppose. I didn't nearly quite enjoy Bebop as much as some people did. And I enjoyed Gundam SEED more than I did Zeta. I thought Zea was a bore really, and its said to be like the best UC series or something :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 2:02 am 
Regular

I watched Ouran .... can someone tell me what aspect of Ouran is Yaoi exactly? the twins only play their shounen parts to get girls mad but it's not actually Yaoi. I believe anyone who thinks Ouran is "Yaoi" needs to have some kind of head exam :evil:

Yaoi = Gravitation :twisted:

Would be the same (get's ready to be kicked out) as saying Simoun is Yuri while they are genderless ... no gender = no sex = no yaoi/yuri.

Are people over here really THAT racist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 3:22 am 

Its Bishounen harem and well, the fangirls fantasize about the imaginary yaoi. I wonder what kinda Ouran doujins are out there D:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 8:53 am 

Since when has Zeta been the best of UC universe!? :shock: I consider 8th MS to be the best of that area, best Gundam is Most definately is Gundam Wing.

And Storm Shinobi, I surf those sites on occaion other then just liking Doujinishi in general they help me figure out which series are worth buying, and trust me you do not want to know, I still crigning from one of the title pages. :? uyk volmit.

And no it's not racist Caiobrz, I think it's sexistism :?: No idea I just know the Yaoi like Gravitation and Moonchild turn me off faster then naked pictures of old people with similar side effects, vomiting, a constant feel of dirtiness and all around make me feel sick.

And as some one braught up in different thread, We NEED more mecha anime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 1:15 pm 
Major Contributor

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
I've rewatched each Haruhi episode a good few times as it was released each week, and rewatched the whole thing in chronological order a good three times.

Haruhi certain does charm me. They both have their own good aspects and stuff, but I'll never get bored of watching Episode 2 of Haruhi. Maybe I just really really like Kyon. That opening speech never gets boring. The only dull episode would be episode 9.

I agree that Haruhi as a whole is an impressive product. However, taking any of the parts separately, none are particularly impressive. The jokes are particularly funny, amusing, but not laugh-out-loud funny. Even Haruhi's stunts with Mikuru, while cute and amusing, are not really all that hilarious, and in most cases is a matter of hit or miss, depending on the timing. The plot itself is interesting but ultimately is not the focus as the mystery aspect of the show is never really resolved since we don't really know the nature behind Haruhi's powers. In fact, we don't really know much at all about any of the background behind the events that occur.

Even airing episodes out of order became more of a gimmick than something truly innovative. As I doubt I would view the series differently if they had aired all the episodes in order as opposed to out of order (and may have prevented many people from initially dismissing the anime because of the first aired episode)

However, I did love watching the show and it was of a higher quality than a lot of shows out there but in the end it just didn't garner my attention as much as other recent shows such as Ouran, or Code Geass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 1st, 2007, 3:26 pm 
Regular

Quote:
And no it's not racist Caiobrz, I think it's sexistism No idea I just know the Yaoi like Gravitation and Moonchild turn me off faster then naked pictures of old people with similar side effects, vomiting, a constant feel of dirtiness and all around make me feel sick.

Turning you off is one thing, whatever float your boat :wink: the other is labeling and biasing everything that you say against a title just because it turns you off, which is what was happening here, that's why I think it's a problem.

aaa more mecha? nooo :oops: right when I thought the genre was getting "balanced" with the most recent quality with mecha rather than all mecha =p

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next