Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 2:17 am 
Regular

lol, I totally agree, but that still does not make "oh, what's up with anime latelly?" since it's only a POV. For instance, from my POV anime latelly has been producing amazing titles :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2007, 8:43 am 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
Most new animes can be either:

Full with homosexual pretty boys(bishounen) to attract 12-13 years old girls and turn into aggressive yaoi fangirls when they grow older.

Good example: Princess Princess

or:

Full with lesbian pretty girls(bishoujo) to attarct 30 years old men and older who already lose most hair on their heads.

Good example: Kannazuki no Miko

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2007, 7:23 pm 

I think the main problem is that once something garners a fan base as big as Anime, the fan base comes to expect more and more of the genre every year. However, not every single Anime Series can meet this standard, most cannot, especially since there are so many "commercial" anime out there that are, as many of you have stated, meant to be entertaining and nothing else.

Though I agree that the bulk majority of Anime is meant for sheer entertainment, I have seen some pretty recent Anime that really blew me away, not only in terms of artwork, but in terms of plot and character development: Kaleido Star, DN Angel, Gantz, the Getbackers, and Ray Xephon.

I think once you become acquainted with Anime, and become a true Veteran, you can easily pick and choose (almost always based on what you get in the first episode) which series will truly amaze you. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2007, 7:37 pm 

One thing I hate about new anime is digital coloring. Sure, there are exceptions, such as Ghost in the Shell, that get digital coloring right, but its more common to find animes with flat looking images using digital coloring. Traditional cel animation and coloring were always so lively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2007, 6:34 am 
Major Contributor

Dei wrote:
One thing I hate about new anime is digital coloring. Sure, there are exceptions, such as Ghost in the Shell, that get digital coloring right, but its more common to find animes with flat looking images using digital coloring. Traditional cel animation and coloring were always so lively.

I dunno, a lot of times, when anime goes more digital, the animation is generally smoother and I love smooth animation.

Another point to be made about commericialization. We need to realize, as anime fans outside of Japan, that anime is not targeted at anime fans in other countries, they are targeted at typical Japanese television audience, who's tastes may not fall in line with a typical American anime fan. I'm sure a lot of the popular TV here in the US isn't quite as popular in Japan just as certain genres of games are far more popular in the West than in Japan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2007, 7:36 am 
Resident Scholar

spazmaster666 wrote:
Another point to be made about commericialization.

As a matter of fact: We need commercialization, and we need it because Japanese studios hardly care about the success of their Anime outside of Japan. We need all that strange "base" stuff like Digimon, Beyblade and Yû-Gi-Oh which is popular with the "mean foot soldiers" among Anime fans and sold well, because only then US or European importers will take the risk of buying licenses and offering Anime.
I think they hardly know anything deep about the matter, being interested in making money, it looks all the same to them so they might think "Product A went well on television, why not try product 3X on DVD?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2007, 7:00 pm 
Post Master

Quote:
We need all that strange "base" stuff like Digimon, Beyblade and Yû-Gi-Oh which is popular with the "mean foot soldiers" among Anime fans and sold well, because only then US or European importers will take the risk of buying licenses and offering Anime.

My god Beyblade SUCKS! It's almost as bad as Pokemon.

Sometimes I am required to download episodes of good anime since all we get is ****.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2007, 10:42 am 
Resident Scholar

Moonunit wrote:
My god Beyblade SUCKS! It's almost as bad as Pokemon.

Of course it sucks, but a lot of kids like it and buy the merchandizing which enables importers to buy other licenses.

Well, Pokemon is another series that turned bad because it goes on and on and on.
The first season was good though imho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2007, 6:00 pm 

Yeah now that you mention it, anime may not have enough of a fan base for western production companies to want to take a risk knowing that they'll atleast pay for the translation process.

And yeah chock Beyblade up on the suck list, along with a number of other child orintated anime. Mean why is it every kidy recently crappy, mean DB, Sailor Moon, Robotech and many more older anime were aimed at kids and didn't suck, then again there are shows like voltron and wedding peach shiver that go in the eyes burning, watching is torture lists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2007, 8:51 am 
Major Contributor

Yugi-Oh is an example of a good anime that got butchered via translation. The problem with these higher-profile anime is that when they reach the states, the publishers tone stuff down to more Americanized standards. So not even supposedly "kids" shows like Yugi-Oh or Pokemon are shown uncut in the States. In fact if you watched Yugi-Oh on Cartoon Network or the WB, you'd know that its quite different from the original Japanese version.

The problem lies in the fact that anime is still very much a niche market in most Western countries, even America, where there is a relatively strong anime fanbase. Very rarely do we see large studios and distributors like MGM or Columbia pick up anime titles. Disney is probably the only major American studio that has released anime on a consistent basis (though mainly Studio Gibli productions). Even the largest domestic anime distributors such as Bandai Entertainment or ADV Films are tiny compared to a company like MGM, much less Disney or Warner Brothers. For anime to get a bigger audience overseas, we'll need to see mainstream domestic distributors getting into the game, and at this point there just isn't enough of an audience for that to happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2007, 2:17 pm 

Again true but you get a double edge sword. When a major publisher like MGM or something picks up an anime title, you have Yugioh and dozen of other series that get totally trashed by editing and such happening all over again. I think the main problem is that mainstream America like shallow shows with no supstance and plenty of stupdity, most anime is the complete opposite. But I think its only a matter of time before the major publishers pick up anime simply because most video gamers usually end up as anime fans as well and vidoe games industery is only making a few million less the movies right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2007, 3:51 am 
Major Contributor

The Adict wrote:
Again true but you get a double edge sword. When a major publisher like MGM or something picks up an anime title, you have Yugioh and dozen of other series that get totally trashed by editing and such happening all over again. I think the main problem is that mainstream America like shallow shows with no supstance and plenty of stupdity, most anime is the complete opposite. But I think its only a matter of time before the major publishers pick up anime simply because most video gamers usually end up as anime fans as well and vidoe games industery is only making a few million less the movies right now.

Well not if it's targeted toward an older audience. Major studios won't edit anime if it were targeted toward a more mature audience, as opposed to toward children (like Yugi-Oh or Pokemon). i.e. Cowboy Bebop Knockin' on Heaven's Door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2007, 12:12 pm 

Huh? Spaz are you talking about Cowboy Beebob the movie? If so true enough but look at history here, Mobilesuit Gundam, murdered by in translation, Macross, same story, and there are others but my mind just went blank. My point expect for rare occasions anime translated by major production companies get sloughtered in translation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2007, 9:50 pm 
Major Contributor

The Adict wrote:
Huh? Spaz are you talking about Cowboy Beebob the movie? If so true enough but look at history here, Mobilesuit Gundam, murdered by in translation, Macross, same story, and there are others but my mind just went blank. My point expect for rare occasions anime translated by major production companies get sloughtered in translation.

Well MS Gundam and Macross came to the US fairly early on back before there was an well established anime fanbase and anime distributors here. It is getting much better, as even on Cartoon Network, who is notorious for making nonsensical edits (making the viewers question whether or not the editors were on crack) isn't editing anime like Naruto TOO much (mostly just the blood) and actually gave it a PG rating, rather than something like Y7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2007, 8:38 am 
Resident Scholar

The Adict wrote:
murdered by in translation

I like this phrase... "Murdered in Translation" - "MiT".
I'll propose this as a label for "creative" Anime translations. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next