Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2007, 2:14 am 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
Only if you mean "not all anime" are being tailored ... but if one is aiming to foreign markets, it's only natural they would try to add/bias it's contents to what is more popular and profitable, and right now there are two things: mecha titles which can sell toys to kids, and ecchi titles which will attract the other portion of the audience: male teenagers (in contrast with child).

Thus, I agree that probably only a minority of the titles are biased towards that foreing market, others are aimed but not changed (they see the chance and license/add publicity overseas), and others (hopefully the majority) remains what it is.

The worst anime is inside the first batch :twisted: childish or with too fanservice

Actually my point is simply one of economics. I'm not saying that Japanese distributors now realize that the foreign market is large enough that they would actually be able to make more money by releasing titles directly to those markets rather than selling the distribution rights to a foreign distributors. Say that it costs a foreign distributor $5 million to buy the rights to a particular series. And let's say that minus overhead costs, the foreign distributor makes roughly $1.5 million in profit. Let's also assume overhead is $2 million. This means that the total cost to the foreign distributor is $7 million while the total gross profit is $8.5 million. Let's say overhead for the foreign distributor is higher due to releasing a product overseas. Let's say it would cost them $4 million. In this case if the foreign distributor had released the product directly they would be make $4.5 million in net profit. Which means that selling the rights for $5 million to a foreign distributor would actually make them more money than releasing the product directly. If the product makes significantly more money, say a net profit of $4 million, the foreign distributor would make roughly $8.5 million rather than $5 million. In this case, releasing the product directly to foreign markets would potentially make them more money than just selling the rights.

Again, this just speculation on my part. I'm not really sure how much the overhead cost is for a distributor to release something overseas, but I'm guessing it would be significantly higher than what it costs a distributor to release domestically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2007, 11:35 am 
Regular

So you think there is no change due to foreign distribution? if that's so, it really means Anime is on a low-creativity period :cry:

The last anime I watched were all lame. Yesterday I finished Code-E and wanted to puke =/ Luckly for me, I still have a large selection of "older" titles unwatched :mrgreen: (I mean ... old ... I'm starting Yamato now xD~)

As for "new" I read a lot of positive reviews (considering it's GAINAX) for Gurren-Lagann, I will give it a try. If not for the plot, at least for this: http://www.daisuki.com.br/wallpaper/1069

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2007, 2:30 pm 

I have a new theory about why anime is starting to suck. There are to wide a veriety of viewers now. Five-ten years ago everyone had pretty much the same tastes. You either loved or hated Gundam Wing and EVA. You loved Blue Seed and Love Hina ectra. Now we one group of people may love a show and praise it to death like Goddannar then we have others think its okay and yet another group that hated its guts. There's no longer the clear we either love or hate this as a whole anymore. This means publishers have to caster a wider net and file tons of crap which some one some where will love. Or so they hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2007, 2:54 pm 
Regular

Quote:
This means publishers have to caster a wider net and file tons of crap which some one some where will love.

lol do you really believe producers and publishers, specially in Japan, are that random?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2007, 8:56 pm 

I really don't agree that newer stuff sucks. Overrating things tends to be a bit of an issue these days, but just because something isn't what its hyped to be, doesn't mean its bad. Overrating and overhyping tends to be the fan's faults anyway, not the anime's fault.

At any rate, who cares whether people love or hate a show as a whole? No show is good to everybody. Its just how things are, not everybody likes the same things. Its always been this way anyway. There has been tonnes of anime back in the day, and theres loads coming out still.

I still think Godannar was bloody awesome. Maybe because of my relative lack of exposure to super robot shows... but I thought it was killer. And its heaps better than like.... Gravion(those bastards even had JAM Project music to back them up.. and it still sucked) and Dancouga Nova.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 19th, 2007, 7:44 am 
Major Contributor

Here's a thought (kind of similar to what I talked about earlier but not quite): I think part of the reason why we've become more critical of new anime is simply that we have more access to anime nowadays than ever before. From being able to get raws hours after the show airs in Japan to dedicated fansubbing groups to consistent DVD releases, we simply have far more access to anime then we ever did before. However, this also means that what we're watching isn't always the best. Five years ago, there wasn't nearly as much access to newer anime shows. And before the whole online fansubbing phase, most anime fans outside Japan watched anime after they were released by domestic distributors. And usually, the domestic distributors back then were pretty picky about the stuff they released. Just as American movie studios nowadays are a little picky about what titles they release on an HD format.

So it's not just the fact that it's hard to be original or creative these days, but that we simply have more access to anime than we ever have before. Just three years ago I would not have thought that I would be watching seven or eight or more series at once. But I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 19th, 2007, 9:34 am 
Regular

Quote:
I really don't agree that newer stuff sucks. Overrating things tends to be a bit of an issue these days, but just because something isn't what its hyped to be, doesn't mean its bad. Overrating and overhyping tends to be the fan's faults anyway, not the anime's fault.

Hype? I never watch hyped anime, they usually suck =p No, I don't fit your description because I never download an anime based on any kind of hype, and based on my personal experience, the more hyped, the more likelly I will dislike it (the ones mass public likes are more like Naruto and stuff, I hate that so I dismiss anything that is hyped almost on sight, takes me years to consider reading some reviews to check it out later)

99% of the bad anime I watched latelly is pretty much unknown. Anyone knows Code-E or Mahou Shoujo Tai Alice, even Shinning Tears? You might know, but they sure are not hyped (Shinning Tears might be a little among Tony Taka fans, but that does not count against the anime quality)

And some known titles were destroyed because of poor studio/production choices after the show was ongoing, like Code Geass or Claymore.

I really do think people should watch anime based on recommendations and reviews, not how famous or hyped it is.

Quote:
I think part of the reason why we've become more critical of new anime is simply that we have more access to anime nowadays than ever before.

I don't think so. My favourite mecha animes are not the first, or second I watched, and if I were to make a top 5 list, all of them would be more recent than about 3 years. I also watched a batch of amazing titles earlier this year. I was always pretty picky with what I watch, I don't think over-exposure is an issue. I watch seven or eight animes at once for like 4 years =p BTW I seldom watch shows as they air, I usually wait them to air all the way so I don't have to wait at a cliffhanger. I'm currently with a 20 title list to watch (half of them I already watched the first episode), some are new, some are old. And I still think the oldest ones are best.

In fact, when I have a lot of titles to watch, I usually go for the oldest unless I'm in the mood to "try", because I'm getting used to the fact that newer titles are harder to filter the bad and good stuff. Also, some reviews on the net are hugelly misleading (ever read any review on Narutaru? if you did, but did not watch the anime, than delete all mental notes about the title lol). One of the few "safe heavens" where I trust reviews are animetric. Most of other review sites (which actually I know only one big one, animeacademy) have childish and biased reviews (they even review unwatched series, what's that all about? T_T)

My site also have reviews and I think they are good, but well ... except for a couple of titles, I wrote them so there is no use in reading any =p

I still think it's just a question of quantity versus quality: we have a lot more anime being released this days, and it just became that more difficult to decide which would be one you like and which wouldn't. It's like movies, we have dozens of new titles every weekend ... one worth it, and it's not easy to find that one=p

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 19th, 2007, 10:44 am 

Shining Tears X Wind is pretty, and pretty damn horrible too. Its mostly for fans of the games Shining Tears and Shining Wind, since it supposedly ties the two together....

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20th, 2007, 2:37 pm 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
I don't think so. My favourite mecha animes are not the first, or second I watched, and if I were to make a top 5 list, all of them would be more recent than about 3 years. I also watched a batch of amazing titles earlier this year. I was always pretty picky with what I watch, I don't think over-exposure is an issue. I watch seven or eight animes at once for like 4 years =p BTW I seldom watch shows as they air, I usually wait them to air all the way so I don't have to wait at a cliffhanger. I'm currently with a 20 title list to watch (half of them I already watched the first episode), some are new, some are old. And I still think the oldest ones are best.

In fact, when I have a lot of titles to watch, I usually go for the oldest unless I'm in the mood to "try", because I'm getting used to the fact that newer titles are harder to filter the bad and good stuff. Also, some reviews on the net are hugelly misleading (ever read any review on Narutaru? if you did, but did not watch the anime, than delete all mental notes about the title lol). One of the few "safe heavens" where I trust reviews are animetric. Most of other review sites (which actually I know only one big one, animeacademy) have childish and biased reviews (they even review unwatched series, what's that all about? T_T)

My site also have reviews and I think they are good, but well ... except for a couple of titles, I wrote them so there is no use in reading any =p

I still think it's just a question of quantity versus quality: we have a lot more anime being released this days, and it just became that more difficult to decide which would be one you like and which wouldn't. It's like movies, we have dozens of new titles every weekend ... one worth it, and it's not easy to find that one=p

Well I guess it depends. Since it's hard to get a good idea of how good an anime series will end up being when you're watching it on a week by week basis, we're pretty much forced to go by the previews and general word of mouth, which isn't always consistent with the quality of the series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2007, 7:56 am 
Regular

Quote:
general word of mouth, which isn't always consistent with the quality of the series.

As I mentioned, if too much people praise a title (as it's being aired), I don't even think twice: cast aside, forget, get to read reviews after it's finished.

"Vox populi" unfortunatelly tends to be quite dumb :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2007, 10:57 pm 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
As I mentioned, if too much people praise a title (as it's being aired), I don't even think twice: cast aside, forget, get to read reviews after it's finished.

Depends on what kind of "people" you're talking about. If it's a bunch of idiots on a random message board then yeah it's probably not worth very much. But if it's people you know pretty well in real life who has good taste in anime, then it definitely would persuade me to take a look at it (i.e. the anime club they have on campus). Anime blogs help also. I check out two or three of the more trustworthy bloggers regularly to help determine which new series to watch each season since there is just so much out there to watch. (Random Curiosity for instance is a very reliable blog. The blogger shares many similar tastes in anime as I do so I find it full of very useful information)

A good example is Code Geass, which was very popular with fans and turned out to be an awesome series. I guess the counter-point would be Haruhi Suzumiya, which was way too overhyped (it was still definitely worth watching but not as good as some would contend)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2007, 12:48 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Shining Tears X Wind is pretty, and pretty damn horrible too. Its mostly for fans of the games Shining Tears and Shining Wind, since it supposedly ties the two together....

As a side note since you mentioned the games, Shining Tears is not very good and I would not recommend it. The only saving grace it had was two player so I could play it with my friend, but that didn't save it and we stopped about 3/4 of the way through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2007, 7:12 am 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
I'm pretty disappointed with Claymore.The show was good but it lacked what most other anime had like comedy.Even I mistook it as Japanese-dubbed Western cartoon when I first time watching it.As an anime fan,I love the good old slapstick jokes in most other anime.Even serious anime like Bleach had its own jokes.The character designs also differ than we used to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2007, 9:01 am 
Resident Scholar

spazmaster666 wrote:
Caiobrz wrote:
Depends on what kind of "people" you're talking about. If it's a bunch of idiots on a random message board then yeah it's probably not worth very much.

Hahaha... what's "a random message board?" :lol:
One among many? So Animetric is a "random message board", too, and whether the members are "a bunch of idiots" depends on how well you know them and how well you cope with their way of interaction.

spazmaster666 wrote:
But if it's people you know pretty well in real life

Aha! "Real life people you know well" as opposed to "a bunch of idiots on a random message board". 8)
But the people you know, those whose opinion you trust, are usually not "the people" whose voice Caiobrz was referring to I'm sure. How many would that be? In my case, referring to Anime... I'd say about ten people. Not enough for sure to call it "vox populi", but such people have a social advantage - since you trust their opinion you are more likely to follow their recommendations.
If you read a multitude of opinions on the internet, let's say from a dozen boards or more, I'm sure then you can imagine a "golden middle" of the given opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24th, 2007, 2:25 pm 
Regular

lol pretty much what 42317 mentioned. Usually, what is being praised everywhere, and you start seeing signatures, avatars and such before the title even reach half run. I don't think animetric would fall into that since the people here are very select and critic. Usually small foruns are a GOOD source of smart insight ;)

For instance, social networks are a excelent source of "bunch of idiots" =p

Amex_Yohko wrote:
The show was good but it lacked what most other anime had like comedy

:shock: er ... hmm ... comedy? like, you would also like comedy into Elfen Lied, Higurashi ... Claymore is not very good, but not for the lack of comedy, but lack of a proper ending =p

If Claymore had comedy I would probably hate it more :roll: it's supposed to be a serious title, not a comic relief ;)

Quote:
Even serious anime like Bleach had its own jokes

Bleach is serious? we couldn't be more oposite =p

Quote:
A good example is Code Geass, which was very popular with fans and turned out to be an awesome series.

Curiously enough, I never thought Code Geass was that popular. In fact, I only noticed exagerated fandom until later the show =/ I started watching because a trustworth friend recommended ;)

For instance, a title that is still beginning but I will avoid based on "bunch of idiots praising it" is Clannad. I don't even know what it is about, but I heard so much about it on foruns like animesuki (warning, bunch of idiots detected LOL) or gallery sites that I don't even bother to know =p

edit

Just remembered another fandom freak: GUNDAM

I will never watch a single one =p and by most friends who share my tastes, I'm not missing anything

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next