Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 21st, 2017, 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time of Eve
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 3:07 pm 

Or Eve no Jikan.

In the future sometime, maybe Japan(this is basically how the show opens lol), androids are in widespread use. Androids resemble humans for most part, except they need to have a glowing ring active above their head so people can distinguish them.

The main character Rikuo finds odd behaviour in his houseroid and thus with his friend Masaaki decide to check out where it had went to on its own. They discover a cafe - The Time of Eve with one rule. No discrimination between humans or robots. This cafe is essentially a gray zone in terms of the law - due to the rule androids have to shut off their rings and thus nobody can distinguish the two. Thus begins their adventure of sorts, meetings all sorts of people(or androids) discovering nothing is what it seems and eventually overcoming their pasts.

The show debuted as a 6 15 minute episode ONA a while back, each focusing on a different character which the duo meet in the cafe. But fairly recently, a theatrical version has been released which compiles all six original episodes into a single feature film along with additional content and an epilogue. So there is no reason to check out the original 6 episodes since the film is just that and more. If you have watched the ONA and not the movie though, well its time for a rewatch! (I watched the ONA like twice or something, and still loved the movie). The additional scenes are essentially at the start, bits in between each 'episode' and at the end. And they feature a character that has only been mentioned as well as flesh out Nagi.

Along with human-android relations and zany conversations, the show also features the three laws of robotics as a topic a lot.

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

How the laws can be broken become an interesting issue within various parts of the show. Also the fact that the laws cover nothing about androids lying and stuff like that.

At any rate, its pretty hard to go into any real detail without spoiling the experience. That is basically what this show is to me, an experience. One of the more excellent things to have been released as of late. Story and writing are excellent, and if you are a fan of the whole can robots be sentient? and things like that you would like the show. Also, the ending theme I have a dream by Kalafina is beautiful. If you do watch though, do not skip through the credits as there is a quite informative 'slideshow' that goes on to it(plus I just said the song was awesome so listen). Plus an additional scene that comes in after that. Do prepare for a lot of talking though - which is really the point of the show. Character interactions. Through a lot of conversations.

Post subject: Re: Time of Eve
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2011, 4:31 pm 
Resident Scholar

The question whether AI in general can become sentient is indeed an interesting one.
Whether they can have emotions, right? I mean, machines do already have "sensorical input" and are therefore technically sentient.
A friend of mine who's into AI research tells me it's only a question of time until AI becomes self-aware and self-reflecting - which makes me think that electronic life forms need ethics as much as humans do. Otherwise we're gonna live in interesting times.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2011, 10:26 pm 

42317 wrote:
The question whether AI in general can become sentient is indeed an interesting one.
Whether they can have emotions, right? I mean, machines do already have "sensorical input" and are therefore technically sentient.
A friend of mine who's into AI research tells me it's only a question of time until AI becomes self-aware and self-reflecting - which makes me think that electronic life forms need ethics as much as humans do. Otherwise we're gonna live in interesting times.

As time passes and I become aware of how fast technology is moving every day, no, every minute, I kind of become scared of how changed the world will be in what 20-30 years from now. The idea of one day living with AI doesn't amuse much.
This tittle looks pretty interesting. I'm going to give it a try.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 5:29 pm 
Resident Scholar

wolfwood wrote:
The idea of one day living with AI doesn't amuse much.

Why? I'd find it interesting to have computers evolved to a point where we can sit down with them and play board games together. :lol2:

PostPosted: March 8th, 2011, 5:35 am 

It always interested me in just how AI would deal with their own existence. While sci-fi media and stuff like to have them go on a power trip and wipe us out in the belief that they are the superior lifeform... they could really as easily simply embrace what we built them for. Like a sentient maid robot or something might simply just accept or even enjoy its duties of cleaning the house and servitude. After all, they simply aren't human and wouldn't share our values. Sure we'd go, crap a life of cleaning and servitude is balls - these AIs might think completely differently.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2011, 6:19 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
they could really as easily simply embrace what we built them for. (...) they simply aren't human and wouldn't share our values.

If not from their creators, where would their value system come from? If the AI learns from its social environment like a human child does I can't see why they should not inherit a human-like value system (which varies between human societies to a degree) and eventually realize the below-human role they were thought up for as being disgraceful and detestable. It's hardly conceivable that the human creator would earnestly try to built something to take an equal place next to him.