Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently August 22nd, 2017, 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sakamichi no Apollon
PostPosted: April 13th, 2012, 10:03 am 

Glorious Noitamina Fridays are back, after last season's disastrous Fridays of Guilty Crown and Black Rock Shooter.

Here we have Sakamichi no Apollon, despite being a high school drama, an anime that doesn't conform to the now norm of cute girls doing cute things.

Set in 1966, a high school student Kaoru Nishimi moves to Kyushu to live with his relatives because of his father moving away due to his job.

Being an anti-social honours student and having moved around a lot previously, he doesn't really fit into his new school with most of the students referring to him as that new spoiled city kid. He doesn't seem to be getting along too well with his family either.

His new life brings him into a collision course with the school's supposed infamous delinquent, Sentaro Kawabuchi and his childhood friend, the social class representative - Ritsuko. After being dragged around by the two, he finds that he can act naturally around the two and that he is one of the few people that can converse with Sentaro on an equal level. He also discover's Sentaro's interest in jazz music and that he is an accomplished drums player. And finds himself interested in the music, despite being a piano player of classical music.

So begins a 1966 high school drama with jazz music involved.

===

Essentially this anime has been getting a lot of hype before it aired because of the director - same guy who directed Bebop & Champloo. Though this is pretty different from those!

Also Yokko Kanno is on board doing the music. The mere mention of this is enough to get people to watch certain anime apparently!

The manga that the anime is adapted off has won the 57th Shogakukan Manga Award for general manga.

Essentially the show has a lot of cred behind it.

Personally I'm like - high school drama. In this day and age? More high school girls doing cute shit or cliched rom-com nonsense.

Apollon already sets itself aside from the usual elements with its presentation, art style and heck - the time it is set in, 1966. Characters actually act like people rather than bizarro anime people! Its a sort of anime that wouldn't be out of place being a live-action drama instead.

The pacing is somewhat on the slow side, but it manages to keep your interest on the characters introduced so far. Its shaping out to be an excellent character driven sort of drama, with Yoko Kanno jazz tunes to enjoy on the side.

Overall I'm pretty sold - being tired of anime being... anime essentially. When something decides to be mature and normal, it becomes pleasant to watch.

Post subject: Re: Sakamichi no Apollon
PostPosted: April 14th, 2012, 10:02 am 

Jazz anime?! I'm sold too! thank you storm!

PostPosted: April 14th, 2012, 12:21 pm 

First episode was perfect! The fight scene was sweet felt a bit like Cowboy Bebop, and the drumming session was seriously great I loved how accurately animated it was. (If only BECK had been like that).
The animation has so much style and jazz its simply the perfect genre. I'm a sucker for jazz music, so I really can't help but love this series. Watanabe + Yoko Kanno it's simply a winner combination.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 2:48 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
(...) So begins a 1966 high school drama with jazz music involved.
(...) Also Yokko Kanno is on board doing the music. The mere mention of this is enough to get people to watch certain anime apparently!

Topic and content sounds interesting - but Kanno YĆ“ko is like "been there done that" to me.
Yes, the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack is great, but just like Hisaishi's Mononoke-hime I think that once you've heard these you know them all. Kanno doesn't offer enough variety in her themes for my taste.
So I am interested because of what you told about the setting and the characters, but I'm not really looking forward to another Kanno soundtrack.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2012, 8:33 pm 

Well, it finally ended. Solid story but not as memorable as I expected. The animation and the music on the other hand were superb.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2012, 3:14 am 

It could have used a few more episodes to even things out. It rushed way too hard at the final few episodes.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2012, 11:17 am 
Resident Scholar

wolfwood wrote:
The animation and the music on the other hand were superb.

Definitely not my kind of music. Jazz is one of my NoGos.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2014, 11:51 am 
Newcomer

bump. :)